AGP/PCI Graphics Cards

reflex99

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
4,044
I'm thinking of upgrading my Dell Dimesion 4600's GPU, but it only has an AGP slot and PCI slots.
the rest of the specs are:
intel p4 2.4ghz
512mb ram (thinking of upgrading to 1 gig or more)
250 watt psu w/16amps on the 12v+ rail (a severe limitation)
nVidia 8400gs pci card

my buget is around <$100

links to websites/stores for places to buy your suggestions would be appreciated.
 
hat is insane I have the same exact rig as you. I’m getting more RAM, better PSU and of course new GC. I would suggest getting like a 6600. That is what I’m getting.
 
I didn't know they still made AGP cards, less that anyone actually bought them :O
 
Ha, before I built my PC, one of the computers I used was a Dimension 2300 (I think).

It didn't even have an AGP slot and only had 256 MB of RAM, so this doesn't seem very old to me.
 
Save up some money and buy yourself a new rig, if you build it yourself you can get a decent dual core system for 500$ less if you scrap old parts from your old computer, plus you already have a monitor and keyboard, less for you to buy already.
 
neither of the cards you linked will work without upgrading your power supply first.

You are at the point where building a new system is worth the money. If you HAVE to use your existing, get a decent enough power supply now that will run a quality system in the future (is 650W+ from good brand). That way when you want a new system a year from now, you don't have to buy a new power supply too.
 
Unfortunately, I'd have to agree with the above two posts. It'll suck to spend money on upgrades you won't be able to use if you get a new PC, especially since you wouldn't be saving much anyway. Plus, at least on my older Dell, some of the parts weren't standard anyway (haven't tried, but supposedly a normal power supply would fry it).

And there are some good $400-500 ideas around here, you should look into them. Even if it takes a long time to save the money, that's a very good price for a modern PC (and it worked for me :P)
 
thanks for the suggestions/cautions
do you guys think if i got 2gigs of ram i could play L4D, because i won't have enough $ to get a new pc till possibly next year?
 
Last edited:
Reflex you are in luck I used to have the same pc...i still got the card and ram (1Gb stick) i put in it..if you want it ill scrounge up the shipping fees :)

the gfx card itself (Ati Radeon x700pro 256mb) is great for every steam game I encountered on it (including l4d and Orange Box).

pm me if interested

Edit: How old is your dell?
 
If i were you i'd save up for a while and build an entirely new rig from scratch.
it comes down the the individual case, but generally speaking it's usually not worth spending anything significant on an AGP card if pretty much >90% of the GPUs today are designed for PCI-e slots.

Having said that, I've no idea how cheap/expensive PC parts are over in the US.
However, like UnderLord said, i imagine you could put together a decent gaming rig for about ?300 / $500

EDIT: best bet is to scrounge around, not much point downgrading to a 6600 even tho it is an awesome card (same model as my previous) better off save up for the future.
 
Last edited:
Arnot- i don't have 30 amps on the 12v rail so that card is out of the question
GiGreen-don't have enogh $ so....... maybe nest year but i need a temp. fix
Manbear- that sounds really old and bad... are sure my 8400gs isn't better?
 
Last edited:
This year i built my brother in-law a 359$ computer (he already had a monitor, keyboard and mouse and i donated 1 500GB sata HD to him) that included case,mobo,powersupply,gfx card.

It isnt a bad little system a nice mobo 2 gigs of DDR2 ram, 9600GT 512MB card and the case came with a crappy 550 watt PSU but i upgraded his PSU once i bought myself a new one, gave him my old one which works wonders in his case. Its quite possible to build a nice computer for 500$ one that can run any steam game on high settings as well as crysis on probably medium settings. (Just for example)
 
Back
Top