Upgrading my processor

Botcow

I made one post
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
6
hi!
atm I have a Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz 1.60 GHz
(i copied and pasted it)
i was wondering if i could just upgrade my processor?
im not really techy and dont know if i have to get a new system or just a new processor
and im not sure about my power supply because if i get a new processor i might have to get a new power supply.
 
You should be able to. It's a socket 775 processor, so you should be fine as long as you stay within the 775 processors.

The Core 2 series is a 775 processor.
 
Stop don't order a processor yet! Not all Socket 775 Processors are compatible with all Socket 775 motherboards. Some chipsets don't support newer processors even though they use the same socket. You need to know what processors your motherboard supports, not just what socket it is. Let me know what your motherboard model and or chipset is and I'll give you a hand.

You can get the information from the motherboard tab in CPU-Z

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
 
The Celeron 420 is a Core-architecture chip. If his current motherboard can run it, there are good odds that some of the older Core 2 Duos will work on it. The Core 2 Duo E4xx0 or E2xx0 series would likely work. Try to avoid the newer 45nm CPUs without knowing if the chipset can support it.

Yes, knowing the chipset would be great, but I'm going to throw that out there anyway. You only live once...
 
It's 65 nm processor though. If he bought a 45 nm processor it might not work. Likewise some motherboards that support dual core processors may need a BIOS update for Quad Core which may or may not be available. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 945 chipset doesn't support Quad core processors at all, and that's a pretty common budget chipset. Motherboard model isn't something you can just ignore. You're probably right and he could get any LGA 775 processor he wanted, but wouldn't you feel bad if you were wrong, and he spent money and his new processor didn't work? It doesn't take much to check and make sure, better safe than sorry.
 
Last edited:
Didn't see that. Sorry. I've been studying for organic chemistry final for the last 20 hours and have only slept 3 hours in the last 48. Brain not working. I should shut up before I get myself into more trouble.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top