foxtrotniner's modding of his Linux box

foxtrotniner

Forum Fiend
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Messages
638
Project: Linux Compile Box has been cancelled due to unseen circumstances...


I'm a package maintainer for a linux distribution called Caos Linux and I needed to build a computer that combines power and looks. To maintain packages in our linux repository I need a 64 bit machine that can compile large Rpm's real fast. So I will be leaning towards a Quad Core Q9550 since I already have all the other parts to build it. Keep in mind that I do not need a really high powered video card for this build. I needed a video card that had open source drivers with out of the box 3d support for linux. This will be water cooled (quote from mythbusters: If its worth doing...Its worth overdoing.) I'm going to be modding an Antec 300 to fit my needs. Pictures tell a thousand words so here's what I'll be using:

Masterkleer 7/16" tubing, T fitting for the Danger Den fill port, Radbox v2 to mount the triple rad outside of the case, Zalman fan controller, Swiftech MCP 655 pump.
comp015.jpg


Got a new package! I wonder whats inside...
comp016.jpg


A Corsair 650W psu and 6 120mm fan grills
comp017.jpg


I got a gift from Newegg, I guess I can use it on my Dell mini 9
comp018.jpg


This is the motherboard I will be using for this build, Gigabyte EP45-DS3L
comp-1.jpg


This is the open source video card I got from someone in the For Sale thread on [H], a Sapphire X550 pci-e video card, it has out of the box 3d support for linux. No need to go all out since all It will be doing is compiling all day. Emphasis on cpu and less on video card.
comp026.jpg


The ram that will be going on the board Corsair pc6400 DDR2 800
comp027.jpg


Essential things to get first... Arctic Silver 5, there might be better stuff out there, but you can never go wrong with this stuff.
comp028.jpg


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Safety and Tools
I cannot emphasize enough to use safety gear before starting any project, you MUST have at least work goggles.
comp032.jpg


Dremel, modders best friend, Jigsaw modder's 2nd best friend (not shown)
comp031.jpg


One more thing, Ear plugs, dremels are hella loud at high speeds so I highly suggest these as I cannot stand the screeching sound when it grinds through steel
comp033.jpg


Almost forgot, if you stopped by the dremel section at your local hardware store, and spot this thing below as an attachment, Don't get it, cause it is horrible as a jigsaw substitute. Unless you are cutting tree branches in your backyard then its fine but for any precision cuts, use a jigsaw.
comp034.jpg


Here is our subject, that we're going to hack away at:
comp021.jpg


Lots of potential inside of the case
comp022.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lets get started!

First up is a window on the side of the case, use blue painters tape to protect your surface and mark the area you want to cut
comp024.jpg


Make a small incision hole with a fiberglass reinforced cutting disc with a dremel and slip the jigsaw into it to cut away. I had a really hard time at the hardware store since they don't sell bi-metal jigsaw blades but you can use the Bosch T shank 36 teeth per inch blades, seriously these blades slice through the thick antec 300 steel case like a hot knife on butter. The Jigsaw is a Black and decker jigsaw I got at home depot for $30. After its all done:
comp030.jpg


comp029.jpg


Test Fit it on the case after using the dremel grinding tool on the edges to remove shavings, looks perfect, now you will need window molding (my package is comming on tuesday, waiting for that to come in the mail)
comp035.jpg


comp036.jpg


That will be it for now, until next week when I get my package from Petra's Tech shop I will have the rest of the water cooling parts. In the meantime I will take a trip to the hardware store to shop around for the things I will need. I'm looking to paint it flat black on the inside any recommendations for paint to use?

Any comments are welcome, thanks
 
Last edited:
Looking good so far! Don't have any recommendations for the paint though as I haven't modded a case before, but good luck!
 
Awesome!
I love Linux, and I love building comps even more... I wanted to dremel my case but my dad was like "you'll either kill the case or kill yourself, so no..."

Dang, you're a package maintainer? You know, funny thing is, I always imagined that packages were like maintained in some super data center somewhere with like octo-core computers that can compile KDE4 and all the addons in like 10 seconds flat.... I didn't really think it was a job for a home machine (albeit a powerful home machine)

Cool stuff!!!
(Hey what gfx card is that? Since its red and passively cooled I'm gonna guess its an old ATI card? But their old stuff had horrible opensource drivers didn't they?)
 
Sorry for posting twice, but if you want a good black finish on the inside that will be durable, buy spray on truck bedliner. I use it occasionally and it works great. For reference, look at my thread titled Project Kari.

It's been a few months since we build Kari, and it's been hauled everywhere. The bedliner on the bottom hasn't scratched or chipped once.
 
Water cooled nix rig :w00t: I'm curious to see what kind of overclock you're able to get on that Q9550.

My linux box needs an upgrade -- I'm still running a 3200+ Athlon 64 w/ 1GB RAM and a GeForce 4200 Ti. New CPU may be on the horizon...
 
Looks like some pretty good choices of kit.

What are you using as a hard drive(s)?
Also, will you be running your RAM at 800MHz, or faster? For a compile box, anything that reduces the time it takes for you to get data after a cache miss is going to help you the most.
 
Havegooda: More pics are comming up soon next Tuesday when I get my package of goodies, then the paint is going on it.

Wombat: I just happened to have DDR2 800 ram in my closet but I hope to upgrade to DDR2 1333

B0bfath3r: Trial and error with tools, I tried the dremel saw attachment on a test sheet of metal and man that was a total fluke, that attachment really isn't for any precision work.
 
B0bfath3r: Trial and error with tools, I tried the dremel saw attachment on a test sheet of metal and man that was a total fluke, that attachment really isn't for any precision work.

Ah I see. Well you still did a great job. What else do you plan on adding to the box besides the window?
 
Gonna add wheels to the bottom of the case, but right now having a hard time removing the rubber case feet that are stuck to the bottom of this case (crazy adhesives they put on here). Then next step is to paint the case flat black. I might remove the hard drive holders to make room for the pump and future radiators in there. Which means I gotta mount my hard drive in one of the three 5.25" bays on top.
 
Update May 9th,

Went to the hardware store to pick up some Grommets that are 5/8" ID, these should be 3/4" OD I think. [EDIT] They are apparently 7/8" OD, These fit the Masterkleer tubing just fine as the OD of the tubing is 5/8".

comp025.jpg


I also picked up mounting tape that will hold the window, as Bill Owen from mnpctech would say..."Tape of the gods".

comp039.jpg


Its time to put the first coat of primer on some of the pieces that are ready for it. First the safety gear... 3M mask cause this primer stuff is bad if you breathe it in.

comp048.jpg


Here's the stuff I'll be using, I gotta say in Florida it drys real fast.

comp043.jpg


Tape off your work surface ready for the primer

comp041.jpg


comp042.jpg


After a couple coats of primer, I started to notice that the primer color is black, but the color on the can says "Dark Gray Primer". Its really a shade away from being flat black which is why I'm going to have a tough time painting since Its really hard to distinguish which is painted and which isn't.

comp049.jpg


comp050.jpg


I haven't started to paint the main case yet because I want to make the holes for the tubing to go into the case. Also I need to drill holes on the bottom of the case so I can mount the wheels on the case.

That's it for now I will continue to paint the other pieces tomorrow. Check back on Tuesday for updates, stay tuned.
 
still looking great :D im thinking about modding my case when i get moneys. (random fact haha)
 
should've done red

jk, black looks nice and sleek. hopefully you make that baby shine!!!!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top