need some help with ram!!!

shotgun king

Rookie
Joined
Apr 11, 2009
Messages
86
I just upgraded my ASUS m2n-mx se plus motherboard from 2 gb of ram to 4gb. sounds simple take the old ram out put the new in.all worked out fine but instead of finding 3gb or more i only see 2.75.I am running windows xp pro 32bit with onboard video and sound with a netgear wireless card.I have ran a memtest and no errors are found.any ideas why I am only seeing 2.75gb?thanks for the help in advanced!!
 
you need to run a 64 bit operating system. When you have 32 bit, it will only recognize a total of 4GB. so its subtracting what you have in your video card, and whatever other random RAM you have.

My suggestion, find 64bit OS. Only thing you can do

Arn0t
 
Windows (ANY) 32bit - 3.25gb ram

Windows (ANY) 64bit - What ever your system can handle
 
thanks for the help.sounds like everyones usin windows 7 so i might give the 64bit version a try thanks again for the help
 
I had that same problem, but i'm running an Intel Q6600 (me not paying attention when i bought the parts) so unless I switch back over to an Athlon 64bit, I've got a stick of RAM that's doing nothing.

Not as keen on the Phenom processors as it stands, certainly not going to re-build my rig just to get an extra 1gb out of it, sorry to all you AMD fans out there.
 
Windows (ANY) 32bit - 3.25gb ram

Windows (ANY) 64bit - What ever your system can handle


Not exactly true. 64bit has a memory ceiling of approximately 17,200,000,000 GB. Crazy huh?

Fun fact, when 4MB RAM was the norm, the 4GB memory ceiling was 1000 times larger. Today, with over 2GB being the norm, the memory ceiling is about 10,000,000,000,000 times more.

I wonder if we'll ever see the day when we 16 exabytes of RAM in our PC?
 
only services packs 2 onwards for 32 bit accept more than 2 GB

and 64 bit is restricted to 128GB and even once u hit 32GB it becomes unstable. most motherboards cant handle that so most people stick to a max of 16GB of RAM and use 64 bit sp1 or 2 preferably 2.

as regards the problem your having / were having shotgun. ther is a chance that your timings for your RAM dont match what your motherboard needs or what your previous RAM was.

i upgraded my laptop from 512MB to 4GB and found i needed sp2 wen i re-installed my OS from premium to ultimate (vista)

windows 7 (win7) is a great choice now for people using high levels of RAM
 
Not exactly true. 64bit has a memory ceiling of approximately 17,200,000,000 GB. Crazy huh?

Fun fact, when 4MB RAM was the norm, the 4GB memory ceiling was 1000 times larger. Today, with over 2GB being the norm, the memory ceiling is about 10,000,000,000,000 times more.

I wonder if we'll ever see the day when we 16 exabytes of RAM in our PC?

Exabyte? It's all about the yottabytes...
 

Latest posts

Back
Top