Studio Condenser for voice chat

JetSeven

Poster
Joined
Apr 4, 2009
Messages
100
Ok this perhaps is a strange question.

As a musician with a bedroom studio with a firewire audio interface, I was wondering whether anybody knew How I could get a studio condenser microphone to hook up with the voice chat of DoD/CSS etc.

I've had no luck so far


The interface is a Phonic Helix 18 FW
and the mic is a Rode NT1-A


I have a headset but i wanted to see whether I could use the interface, because the sound quality is obviously better than onboard sound.
 
You should be able to set the default input in the Audio control panel of w/e OS you're running.

If your condenser mic's audio interface shows up in that panel just set it as default and CS:S will use it, Source games will only use the default mic though, thats the trick ;).
 
I do this with my inspire 1394 interface all the time. If you use Windows XP like I do I think I can help.

Start -> settings -> control panel -> sounds and audio devices

From there you should get the sounds and audio devices window, of the five tabs, you'll only use two: audio and voice.

First you'll want to go to the audio tab and change the audio recording box to whatever the output on your firewire interface is. Mine for instance is Inspire mic/inst out 1.

Next go to the voice tab and change voice recording to the same option you did for the last instruction I gave. Make sure that when you hit apply BOTH of them change to the right thing, if the don't just reset whichever one didn't stay and hit apply.

That should work, just be warned, condenser mics don't always work well with games I've found.
 
ok, your replies are very much appreciated.

Is that just because of the nature of the pickup pattern?

Would a dynamic microphone work better?
 
I'm no expert on mics but aren't condensers omnidirectional? If so, you might have issues with it picking up a lot of background noise...
 
It may have something to do with the pickup pattern, but I have a REALLY tattered and torn cable, so I can't really be sure what it is that causes it for me, you should test it for yourself and see what it does.

And just to answer drbob's question, you can get shotgun condneser mics that aren't omnidirectional.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top