- Joined
- Mar 16, 2009
- Messages
- 230
Long story short is that I am beginning to dive into the world that is multimedia.
Specifically video editing.
Rumour has is that Final Cut Pro is the end all be all software for this task.
Unfortunately it is a Mac platform piece of software.
I looked at the base model of the Mac Pro which is $2500 and I have a VERY hard time justifying this cost as my Windows PC which I built myself less than a year ago ran a measely $1100 in comparison.
Not to mention it has better specs than the quoted Mac Pro.
I can't find myself justifying this $1400 Mac tax.
As an alternative I spec'd out an iMac which is still more expensive, but not nearly as much. It also means I don't get video card options which worries me.
The iMac, at least to me, comes off as a trendy sort of "cool" computer to get... for a casual trendy Mac user who wants to dive into the Mac world which is not what I want.
This computer will be a work tool and nothing more.
What do you all think?
I do not mean for this to become a PC vs Mac thread so please do not lead it down that bitter path. I'm having a VERY hard time justifying this cost and would like some second opinions - especially from those who have experienced a similar situation or for those who do use this software.
Are there any Windows comparable pieces of software I could learn my basics on?
I am sure I'd feel more comfortable running the Mac as a business cost once I know this is something that can bring me in some money with the work I do on it.
EDIT: Will it be possible to use my current 2x22 inch monitors on a Mac Pro? Probably need one of those overpriced mini-DVI top DVI adapters... will the double one used for the Mac monitors work for my double setup?
Ideally I'd like to put the Mac right beside my current tower and just run with a KVM switch so I can use one keyboard/mouse/monitor setup for both computers.
Specifically video editing.
Rumour has is that Final Cut Pro is the end all be all software for this task.
Unfortunately it is a Mac platform piece of software.
I looked at the base model of the Mac Pro which is $2500 and I have a VERY hard time justifying this cost as my Windows PC which I built myself less than a year ago ran a measely $1100 in comparison.
Not to mention it has better specs than the quoted Mac Pro.
I can't find myself justifying this $1400 Mac tax.
As an alternative I spec'd out an iMac which is still more expensive, but not nearly as much. It also means I don't get video card options which worries me.
The iMac, at least to me, comes off as a trendy sort of "cool" computer to get... for a casual trendy Mac user who wants to dive into the Mac world which is not what I want.
This computer will be a work tool and nothing more.
What do you all think?
I do not mean for this to become a PC vs Mac thread so please do not lead it down that bitter path. I'm having a VERY hard time justifying this cost and would like some second opinions - especially from those who have experienced a similar situation or for those who do use this software.
Are there any Windows comparable pieces of software I could learn my basics on?
I am sure I'd feel more comfortable running the Mac as a business cost once I know this is something that can bring me in some money with the work I do on it.
EDIT: Will it be possible to use my current 2x22 inch monitors on a Mac Pro? Probably need one of those overpriced mini-DVI top DVI adapters... will the double one used for the Mac monitors work for my double setup?
Ideally I'd like to put the Mac right beside my current tower and just run with a KVM switch so I can use one keyboard/mouse/monitor setup for both computers.
Last edited:

























