the PCs for the masses

chief

Famous
Joined
Feb 17, 2008
Messages
539
Last edited:
not bad at all

Something i would go with... if i was looking for a $500 computer. Instead, im going with somthing close to 4 times as much.

Still, nice build
 
Poor Motherboard, GPU and PSU choices for the $1300 build.

Why no monitor? SLI and CrossFire are only useful at 1920 or 2560. Unless you're assuming the person already has a large monitor, which is a stupid assumption to make.

Acer X233 ($190) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009163

or

Samsung 2333SW ($240) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001314

A single 4890 is plenty for gaming at 1920 or even 2560, and it's $30 cheaper than the GTX 280.

Diamond HD4980 ($230) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103075

Ditch the MSI for a Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P ($140) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128378

You're paying for a motherboard with features that are aimed at a niche market. And it's $30 dearer than the Gigabyte. Who in their right mind would spend more for something that isn't better?

And finally, you would have to be galactically stupid to recommend a low quality 850W over a high quality 650W.

Corsair 650TX ($100) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

You won't get a free case, but how often do you see RoseWill cases being recommended when there are better options from Antec, SilverStone and Lian-Li?

Antec 300 ($59) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042
 
Last edited:
ok so i switch the motherboard but the PSU is a great choice i actually have one

and the 4890s get blown away by the gtx 280s
 
Dude, if you're going to give advice, give proper advice.

It doesn't matter what you like or dislike, or what you have in your PC. Choosing PC parts is based on facts. Objective reviews from established websites. Reviews from SPCR: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article813-page1.html rate the 650TX highly because it's a high quality PSU.

Compare the reviews for Corsair PSUs against RoseWill PSUs. The Corsair's are highly rated for a reason.

Second, the GTX 280 doesn't 'blow' away the 4980. Maybe in useless benchmarks like Vantage, or in timed demos, but not in actual, real-world gameplay.

In fact, the 280 and 4890 trade blows, depending on the game: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYzNiwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Seeing as how neither one card is superior, the only logical conclusion would be to buy the cheapest card, which is the 4890.
 
Last edited:
Don't forget to look at our Sponsor. If you want a good machine that someone else has put together, they are not bad at all. I am a leet builder myself but they are definitely an option.
 
Hmm... I was able to price an i7 for $1,515. Pretty much future proof for upgradeable ram and video cards.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128374
Ram/Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227375
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256043
Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125276
Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148335
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021
Monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

Ok a few comments on why I picked what I did.

The I7 delivers more bang for the buck vs a Phenom II for not only gaming, but for also media encoding or compiling.

The motherboard is the best that I found that didnt have huge issues, but was still decent on price. It also supports 24GB DDR3 and also 3x PCI-2.0 slots with 2 of the slots being 16x, allowing higher bandwidths for Crossfire later.

The memory is just a standard memory that is made by a trusted manufacturer with 7-7-7-20 timings with changing bios for those standards.

I had looked over the reviews of the 4890 and the reviews say that it does better in some cases over that darned GTX 280. Not only that, but the price/performance, you cannot beat it! The power savings (idle and working wattage) of the 4890 are also worth the time of investing the money.

Better safe than sorry. Silverstone offers 1000W of power at 80%+ efficiency at a decent price of only $210. I currently have this power supply and it has all of the connectors you would ever need for upgrades, and enough power to support anything you throw at it. The major downfall is trying to figure out what to do with those extra cables!

There is no good reason why I picked the hard drive that I choose. The price only being 65 dollars and speeds of 32mb cache and 7200rpm speeds make it a choice of mine. If you are willing to spend the extra money, get a 1TB HDD.

The case I had picked is an antec 900. I have a few friends with these bad boys and nothing but good comments on newegg.

Lastly, why have a nice gaming rig without a 24" monitor to play stuff on? I hooked up a cheap but decent ASUS monitor supporting your standard vgs, dvi, and HDMI inputs at 1080p resolution of 1920 x 1080. Not only is this bad boy equip with awesome features, it also uses less than 60 watts of power to keep that power bill lower.

Edit: forgot to add the DVD Burner in the list. Its just a standard Sony burner for 25 bucks. free shipping. Nothing special bout it.
 
Last edited:
I had a Rosewill PSU that lasted 54 weeks. Just up and died - no warning. I now have a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610W that should last way longer than the rest of the rig.

Sure I saved some money up front - but I spent that money plus the cost of the new one down the road. I was without my PC for a week and because I don't have spare parts laying around (wife makes me get rid of old stuff) I was unable to tell if my data or the rest of the PC was ok that entire week. That sucked.
 
Hmm... I was able to price an i7 for $1,515. Pretty much future proof for upgradeable ram and video cards.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128374
Ram/Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227375
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256043
Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125276
Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148335
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021
Monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

Ok a few comments on why I picked what I did.

The I7 delivers more bang for the buck vs a Phenom II for not only gaming, but for also media encoding or compiling.

The motherboard is the best that I found that didnt have huge issues, but was still decent on price. It also supports 24GB DDR3 and also 3x PCI-2.0 slots with 2 of the slots being 16x, allowing higher bandwidths for Crossfire later.

The memory is just a standard memory that is made by a trusted manufacturer with 7-7-7-20 timings with changing bios for those standards.

I had looked over the reviews of the 4890 and the reviews say that it does better in some cases over that darned GTX 280. Not only that, but the price/performance, you cannot beat it! The power savings (idle and working wattage) of the 4890 are also worth the time of investing the money.

Better safe than sorry. Silverstone offers 1000W of power at 80%+ efficiency at a decent price of only $210. I currently have this power supply and it has all of the connectors you would ever need for upgrades, and enough power to support anything you throw at it. The major downfall is trying to figure out what to do with those extra cables!

There is no good reason why I picked the hard drive that I choose. The price only being 65 dollars and speeds of 32mb cache and 7200rpm speeds make it a choice of mine. If you are willing to spend the extra money, get a 1TB HDD.

The case I had picked is an antec 900. I have a few friends with these bad boys and nothing but good comments on newegg.

Lastly, why have a nice gaming rig without a 24" monitor to play stuff on? I hooked up a cheap but decent ASUS monitor supporting your standard vgs, dvi, and HDMI inputs at 1080p resolution of 1920 x 1080. Not only is this bad boy equip with awesome features, it also uses less than 60 watts of power to keep that power bill lower.


!up blizbiggy


:D
 
Wouldn't it have been easier to post these as public wish lists? Then you'd only have three links instead of 20.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top