Casemod help

-Jv-

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
2,159
I'm soon going to start on a casemod wich will be made totally in MDF, Does anyone know a good program to draw the plans ? and fairly easy to use.
 
Google Sketchup is supposed to be easy to use for 3D design of that very sort of thing, I've messed around with it a little, except I really had no use for it and just wanted to compare it to other programs. It might work out pretty well for "real-world" designing such as that.
 
Google Sketchup is supposed to be easy to use for 3D design of that very sort of thing, I've messed around with it a little, except I really had no use for it and just wanted to compare it to other programs. It might work out pretty well for "real-world" designing such as that.

I mean about making the plans with actual measurements not just loose 3D design "Sketch"...
 
If you can get ahold of it autodesk inventor is a pretty straightforward program. Very user friendly, especially if you have used Autocad before. I have never used Solidworks before, but it is supposed to be very nice also. As of right now CATIA and Solidworks are the industry standard for 3d cad work.


btw why are you using mdf? is there any reasoning behind that? I am curious. I think Plexi would be a much better option.....
 
I mean about making the plans with actual measurements not just loose 3D design "Sketch"...

I'm not sure why it needs to be so exact (unless you have a 3D printer around you intend to use, which would be awesome but highly unlikely), but there is a severe lack of "real-world designing" programs for free. I had the opportunity to play around in Solidworks once though, it was pretty cool. If google sketchup isn't going to be close enough (now you have me curious as to what kind of mod you're designing :P), I've found some other stuff.

Did you look through http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CAD_editors_for_AEC and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CAD_editors_for_CAM yet?

I did, and the free one that seems the best to me is http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?title=Main_Page

If you plan to spend a few thousand dollars (>_>), I don't really have any suggestions for you, I guess AutoCAD is pretty much where it's at like bulletsinthefire said :closedeyes:
 
I hate to break it to you, but SketchUp can be detailed if you want it to. All of my designs have the measurements in mm. It's by far my tool of choice.
 
If you can get ahold of it autodesk inventor is a pretty straightforward program. Very user friendly, especially if you have used Autocad before. I have never used Solidworks before, but it is supposed to be very nice also. As of right now CATIA and Solidworks are the industry standard for 3d cad work.


btw why are you using mdf? is there any reasoning behind that? I am curious. I think Plexi would be a much better option.....

Plexiglas isn't so good at blocking noise :p I'm trying to make this case as silent as possible ;)

Thanks for all the replies, I think I've seen Auto Cad at school... Going to ask a teacher. I already got photoshop that way.
 
Last edited:
For the record, I had this topic open for a while so I didn't get to read SMiles's post where he mentioned Solidworks too.
 
My teacher wouldn't let me copy it so I did this at school:
Drawing3.png


It's in dutch because I speak dutch (Duh!)

Voeding: Power supply
Moederbord: Motherboard
The rest is obvious ?
 
Is that the only view you have? Considering that is the side, a front and top view would make it easier to understand, but besides that, it is a pretty good drawing.

What did you end up using to do it?
 
Is that the only view you have? Considering that is the side, a front and top view would make it easier to understand, but besides that, it is a pretty good drawing.

What did you end up using to do it?

AutoCad
 

Latest posts

Back
Top