Confused about which graphics card to buy?

Joined
Mar 16, 2009
Messages
230
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-graphics,2296.html

Every month Tom's Hardware comes out with the best graphics cards for the money.

Lowest price starts at $60 usually and goes all the way up past $300

There's a new article EVERY month that compares every new card and shows you exactly which cards are best.

I've seen a few threads regarding this topic so I thought I'd post the link for this month and hopefully help a few people out.

If you need more than this in your decision you might be illiterate ;D
 
Last edited:
I disagree with your post.

That article is a good starting point for your graphics card search, but it is not the only thing to look at. Typically prices, especially rebates, change after the article is written, so you need to do your homework. It is a great source for comparing cards, but many times the pricing is inaccurate due to market.

Take for example this month. They recommend 4670 at $65 because the 9600 GSO isn't worth the upgrade at $10 more. You can get a 9600 GSO right now for $5 more plus you get a free copy of COD 4 and 5. Easily a better deal.

Another big thing you need to consider is your power supply. Many people have posted here looking for cards only to realize that they didn't know their power supply wouldn't handle a newer card.

I say read that article to start, figure out 2-3 cards that you are considering, look up prices on newegg, and post them and your system specs so we can easily help you out! That way you have done your homework and will have people who know double check everything for you. I am always happy to help, as are numerous people on this board!
 
Depending on what your price range is cards can vary.
Go for the Radeon 4770 over 9600GT for under $100

Go for the Radeon 4870 over the Nvidia GTS 250 or GTX 260 for under 200$
Granted you have the right slots and power supply that can provide what they need.
 
I sort of agree with Ryken, this guide, and market searching can get you quite far, but I personally like to have some real world reviews of these cards from people like me, not from ubergamers that have 16 gigs of RAM and a 1000 watt PSU pumping out there juice ;p.

I like casual reviews of things, not reviews from people who are squeezing every last frame out of their card :D

This guide does look incredibly useful though, next time I upgrade I will def be using this guide, its cool that they update it every year.
 
well to be honest, very few of us actually have that kinda $$ 2 spend on that specific type stuff. there are some reviewers out there that dont go out & get those high specs on computer based stuff. there are groups out there that do reviews on mid-range computer stuff. now if we had the funds, im sure we could get a group together & do a monthly report on various computer components to help educate those who need to know that kinda info.
 
well to be honest, very few of us actually have that kinda $$ 2 spend on that specific type stuff. there are some reviewers out there that dont go out & get those high specs on computer based stuff. there are groups out there that do reviews on mid-range computer stuff. now if we had the funds, im sure we could get a group together & do a monthly report on various computer components to help educate those who need to know that kinda info.

That kinda of $$?

The lowest range is $60.

My guess is that if you're buying a PC, you have $60 to spend ;)

And the points regarding deals and bargains - absolutely. But card for card, price for price, this gives you a wonderful starting point.

@drbob: they update every month, not every year. That's why I like it so much, it's always up to date!
 
Just make sure you have a decent power supply to run your video card, a HD 4770 is more than enough for anyone below 1680 x 1050.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top