HL2.exe Issue

Sharpe

Forum Fanatic
Joined
Apr 25, 2009
Messages
977
Whenever I try to start up Team Fortress 2, It says the "Preparing to Lanch TF2" Then about 20 seconds later it comes up with an error saying: "hl2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I've tried Updating all my drivers, restarting, reinstalling Steam (Even put it in a new directory) and reinstalled TF2 twice, used the following launch options "-windowed, -autoconfig"

I really don't want to reinstall windows and everything just to play TF2. But if I have to in last resort, I will. At this point, I'll try anything to fix it.

Has anyone had this problem before? And if so, how did you fix it?

Ohh. And yes, my computer specs are good enough to run TF2 on High and some settings on Medium (Shadows)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
 
try asking steam their support is generally good - for a quicker response try calling them
 
Ok. I'll just email them. Don't really feel like calling them. Thanks for the response by the way :P.
 
ive had the same problem with half life 2 original... i mean its weird ill run css and tf2 episode 1 and ep 2 fine but when it tries to run original it freaks out.. to be honest it has something to do with vista and ur graphics driver.. its really annoying cuz i want to play hL2 and beat it but nope cant lame and ive contacted steam support and they tell me its my pc.. and cant fix it :( sigh ..
 
Yea, The weird thing is...I don't have vista. I don't see how it's my graphics driver either. Runs everything but Source games just fine.

I don't know what's causing it. I played it just before I went to bed Wednesday night, turned off my computer, and then Thursday this happened. It's so weird.
 
I got that exact same message the day before the tf2 update, i think i got rid of it by deleting a skin i had put in it. You may want to try getting rid of any sort of add-on like that. But im no tech expert, might not be the right way.
 
I have no mods or anything. I used to...But deleted them before I reinstalled.

Ok. I just went into my TF2 folder. It appears I am missing most of the files. Which is very odd. When I reinstalled it, it should of supplied all the file and folders. I got the 3 basic folders, but inside those are a few files, but no other folders. So now the problem is...Where do I get these files Im missing? When I reinstall, it seems to not supply them...Hmm
 
Have you tried verifying the game cache? Right click on the game, select properties and click "Verify Cache Integrity".
 
Done it countless times. As well as the Defragging. I'll do it again just in case.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top