Why Valve was smart making this new method

I hate this new method. Getting achievements is completely pointless now. I felt like when I got achievements, I was working towards something, but now it doesn't even matter. I've gotten all of my unlocks without going on any achievement servers. I've gotten all my achievements fairly as well.

This new method has unfortunately caused me to play less and this saddens me. Oh and the fact they say they did this because people had to farm to get the unlocks is bull crap. You can easily find 22 unlocks that are attainable with regular gameplay.
 
I hate this new method. Getting achievements is completely pointless now. I felt like when I got achievements, I was working towards something, but now it doesn't even matter. I've gotten all of my unlocks without going on any achievement servers. I've gotten all my achievements fairly as well.

This new method has unfortunately caused me to play less and this saddens me. Oh and the fact they say they did this because people had to farm to get the unlocks is bull crap. You can easily find 22 unlocks that are attainable with regular gameplay.

The achievements have the same effect they did before the updates. Every valve game has always had achievements. The tf2 updates was the first time the achievements actually gained you anything. Now its back to the way it was originally: for fun.
 
Getting achievements is completely pointless now.

Maybe you haven't played many games with an achievement system (ex. Xbox 360) but that's generally how it goes in any game.

I felt like when I got achievements, I was working towards something, but now it doesn't even matter.

If you want work mixed in with your fun, you might want to try an MMO (ex. World of Warcraft).

This new method has unfortunately caused me to play less and this saddens me.

It saddens me as well. TF2 is just as fun as it ever was. It sounds to me like maybe TF2 is just not the game for you.

Oh and the fact they say they did this because people had to farm to get the unlocks is bull crap.

It wasn't that people had to farm, it's that they easily could. I know you said you did them all legitimately and that's cool, but just because you wouldn't steal from a bank doesn't mean they should leave the vault unlocked.

I'm sorry if I came across as being crass, I'm just tired of hearing people get so upset over something so trivial to the core gameplay of TF2.
 
Last edited:
To be honest, with the milestone system you had people grinding away in servers just to get these milestone weapons. They'd spend a few hours just working at it and have the new equipment without earning them. Mind you, in this system it isn't 'earned' either, but it keeps people from grinding to get stuff.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872722

You should see this thread. They are still 'grinding' in a sense to get these items.
 
Buahahahaha this is so true....

mmo_update_pt1.jpg
 
No, Valve has said that the system works primarily on time played.

thats funny how i played for 6 hours straight and unlocked 1 thing.. while someone else played for 2 hours and unlocked 5. :thumbdown:

The system is a good idea. Especially for the free weekend. A PERFECT time to let it loose. :thumbup1:

But it's kind of a low kick to those of us, who LOVE getting achievements (not just for the weapons, but just to harness new skills!)

I used to work hard to get an achievement, but i didn't let it get in the way of gameplay. However... Not all players are like this. :thumbdown:

I would always play a class that would benefit the team.. and if I wasn't needed, i would revert to my pyro.. or to getting on another class and scooping up some achievements. :thumbup:

But now that the achievements do nothing, i'm unmotivated to get them. Its going the way of Microsoft's xbox point system. The points do nothing! :thumbdown:

If they were to implement some sort of system, where if you unlocked an achievement you got the ability to choose or unlock a fun feature it would be GREAT! I think a cool hat for your pyro, or a "glow" or effect available for your character would be a GENIUS Idea to implement (if possible) into the game! :thumbup1:

Valve is taking a step in the right direction, but i think they need to figure out a way to not step on so many toes. ;)
 
You know, rather than complain without a better alternative (like my previous post), I came up with one.

I propose that weapons be based off of kills (or kill assists), and you get to choose which weapon you want (for the class you're using). That way, players are rewarded for their success, and you can still get duplicates of the same item for the planned item trading. Certain classes like the spy would need lower kills because they serve a more tactical purpose than bulk massacres.

Or it could be based on points. That might more accurately reflect skill...

What do you fellas think about my idea? (I always welcome criticism as well)
 
part of me is really frustrated because I've only gotten 1 weapon after like 4 hours of playing, and it was the flare gun (already have that), and then another part is glad that there will be less hordes of the class that's being updated (although I have enjoyed all of the snipers standing still) and I still have a chance of getting the weapons while getting revenge or whatever.
 
I think its smart, but I feel they need to make it so you don't get teh same weapon more then twice or maybe three times.
 
I hate this new method. Getting achievements is completely pointless now. I felt like when I got achievements, I was working towards something, but now it doesn't even matter. I've gotten all of my unlocks without going on any achievement servers. I've gotten all my achievements fairly as well.

This new method has unfortunately caused me to play less and this saddens me. Oh and the fact they say they did this because people had to farm to get the unlocks is bull crap. You can easily find 22 unlocks that are attainable with regular gameplay.

You COULD get them in regular gameplay, but why do that when in an achievement server you could get them in 30 minutes of an entire group of people cooperating with you?
 
You know, rather than complain without a better alternative (like my previous post), I came up with one.

I propose that weapons be based off of kills (or kill assists), and you get to choose which weapon you want (for the class you're using). That way, players are rewarded for their success, and you can still get duplicates of the same item for the planned item trading. Certain classes like the spy would need lower kills because they serve a more tactical purpose than bulk massacres.

Or it could be based on points. That might more accurately reflect skill...

What do you fellas think about my idea? (I always welcome criticism as well)

What stops be from going into an achievement server and getting the number of kills I need to get a weapon?

Valve obviously thought of tying unlockables to things, but since ALL of them are easily exploitable, they decided to just make them drops. Which, imo, would work much better if the damn trade system was in effect.
 
You know, rather than complain without a better alternative (like my previous post), I came up with one.

I propose that weapons be based off of kills (or kill assists), and you get to choose which weapon you want (for the class you're using). That way, players are rewarded for their success, and you can still get duplicates of the same item for the planned item trading. Certain classes like the spy would need lower kills because they serve a more tactical purpose than bulk massacres.

Or it could be based on points. That might more accurately reflect skill...

What do you fellas think about my idea? (I always welcome criticism as well)

Make a fancy looking draft copy and send that to Valve!
 
I never farmed achievements. I enjoyed working my way through them. This is stupid. I'm done until Valve fixes it, if they do. Guess I'll be playing more Fallout 3.
 
They should of waited until the trade system was finished as well but meh. We have to deal with it and it isn't bad. I don't have to ragequit when i'm at 99% of an achievement and mess up, having to start all over again.
 
Valve, karma suxs

I know for sure they did annoy me...

I WANT THAT BOW!!!

PS: HEY VALAVE, [karma suxs :)]
 

Latest posts

Back
Top