High Temperatures

Bravo Company

Forum Fiend
Joined
Mar 30, 2009
Messages
645
I have installed speedfan and its telling me my temp1 is at 60-63C idling, my fan speed is set to max and it sounds like a friggin hurricane when my fans are blowing full. I got a phenom X4 9500 with 2 stock fans installed. My core temp. varies from 58-63C idling, I've checked my BIOS and its also clocked my temps at 60+C.

should this be something I'm worried about because this seems really high while idling.

specs:
CPU: AMD phenom X4 9500~2.2 GHz
motherboard: Nvidia 6150SE
RAM: 3 gigs DDR2
GPU: ATI 2400 XT (no fan)
2 stock fans *recently cleaned out dust*
 
thats actually pretty bad, do you have thermal paste on your CPU? I would recommend getting more fans into your system and better heatsink
 
Last edited:
I would also recommend upgrading to a new fan/heatsink, you can get good ones for like $20-$40 on Newegg. Just make sure they'll fit in your case and are made for your CPU.

That temp is pretty bad, the maximum core temp for a Phenom is 70c...
 
Do you have the stock cooler on? That temp is crazy. I have an overclocked E8400 that runs 30 idle.

I would suggest getting a new CPU Cooler....

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7..._LGA_775_LGA_1366_AM2_Xeon.html?tl=g40c14s813

This is one of the best air coolers on the market, but make sure your case is wide enough to hold it.

You will also need a cleaner for your CPU
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3...urface_Purifier_-_60ml_Kit.html?tl=g8c123s248

and thermal paste

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3...ompound_-_35_Grams_AS5-35G.html?tl=g8c127s447
 
That computer is most likely a pre-made PC from Dell, HP etc. Easiest way to fix it is add a fan somewhere in the case, most likely the front fan or rear. If you want to get more technical change the heatsink, if it's pre-built PC your not going to be able to put a huge heatsink on it like the one Deimos suggested.

Though those things are BEAST.
 
Yea just add a fan somewhere, until you get a fan and then open your case and see put a block fan near it (not too close) and let it do that.
 
How old it is? It really sounds like you need a new CPU cooler.
 
How old it is? It really sounds like you need a new CPU cooler.

I cleaned out my heatsink really good and I've droped 20C for my CPU temp, I just inserted my visiontek 3870, I've got a little increase in temps but its only like 5C. I bet its because my card is just heating up a lil.
 
I'm glad you got the temps back down to earth. You still may want to think about upgrading in the future. I recommend that you get a Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro. It's a big heatsink, but it's not terribly big. It'll fit in just about every normal case, even pre built systems. You'll drop another 20+ degrees I bet.
 
yeah like xenophek said, look to upgrading the heatsink in the future. that will help you avoid another problem like this :D
 
Back
Top