PSU/Vid Card Help

Rated_R

Active Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
388
Hey guys Ive got a 510w Turbo Cool ATX PFC. I currently have an EVGA 7900GTX (no SLI), and I'm most likely going to get this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150371
It says it needs 2x6 pin PSU connectors, I have no idea if I have this, and if I don't would I need to buy a new more powerful PSU.

I also have a 17" Dell VGA monitor with a DVI adapter I dont know if that would cause any problems.

Heres the PSU link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703001

Also do you think I could run the new Modern Warfare 2 game with that card.
My setup.
AMD 64FX-57
4GB Corsair Xtreme Memory Speed DDR2
The 9800GTX(hopefully)
I run resolution at 1200x1024
510 PSU
3x 4" Fans
250GB internal HDD and 250GB External

Oh I just got these too (these have nothing to do with performance)(I mowed so many lawns.)
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-diamondback-3g/
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mousing-surfaces/razer-exactmat
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards/razer-arctosa/razer-arctosa-black-keyboard
 
The specs page says you have 2x 6 pin PCI-E connectors.



You can look for them yourself to confirm, they are black, usually have 3 yellow and 3 black (or 3 red / 3 black) cables running into them. They have 6 pins

[ooo]
[ooo]

And most say PCI-E on the side :)
 
Last edited:
The boys at newegg says it needs 450w
And my 7900GTX needs 450w as well and my setup runs fine.

My 7900gtx needs one 6pin connector, I could only find 1 6pin connector but 3 unused 4 pin connectors, could I just buy a 6pin connector and hook it up to a 4pin.
 
Last edited:
But newegg says I need 2x6pin connectors and I only have one, is that a problem?
 
Yeah, if it says you need 2 6xpin connectors you /need/ two, otherwise you're likely to get bluescreens and various errors when that card gets stressed out and needs more power.

Weird, that PSU says it has two so I see no reason it shouldn't.
Upgrading to a new PSU would be your cheapest and safest bet
Get a nice 550/600W and you should be covered.
AFAIK the 4 pin (molex) connectors are not on the right rail to provide the necessary amperage for graphics cards, so buying an adapter for something as intense as a 9800 probably wouldn't work out well.
 
I've built several gaming rigs, and there's only one PSU company that I can recommend to anybody. Corsair power supplies are the top of the line, and will dominate anything you can throw at them. I've seen Thermaltake and Antec power supplies (that were supposedly good) die and take hardware with them. In my opinion, the power supply is the one thing you should never cut corners on.

Here's a great PSU for $75 after rebates:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3438607&CatId=106

Or if you're more conscious about your budget:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3287208&CatId=106

Or if you prefer Newegg over Tiger Direct:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

All of the above power supplies should run your hardware just fine.
 
The PSU you linked to says it has 2 x PCIe 6 pin connectors. Even if it doesn't, you can buy a 2x4 pin molex to a PCIe 6 pin adapter for about 6 bucks. You'll be perfectly fine using an adapter. Hell, even some 260GTX's ship with adapters. The PSU itself is plenty strong.

The 9800GTX TDP is 168. The card draws 75 from the PCIe slot, and another 75 from the first PCIe 6-pin connector. That leaved only 18 watts to be drawn from the other 6 pin, so you'll be perfectly fine using an adapter.
 
Last edited:
Oh boy, you've got a PC P&C PSU there. I would recommend not "upgrading" away from one of those bad boys. They have always been known as some of the most stable PSU's on the market and can handle that card just fine. Also, since I can see both adapters in the picture, I think you have both, but just might be missing it. In the mess of wires it may be tough to find the right one without pulling them all out. Check again just to make sure. Especially for any stray wires stuck back behind other things to get them out of the way.
 
Last edited:
Try using a power supply calculator and see what you come up with, you'll probably fine. Tom's Hardware built a PC with a Antec PSU with only 380W but had a HD 4850 which uses more power than the 9800 GTX your looking at. Upgrade to a OCZ, PC P&C, or Corsair PSU if worried.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top