What's "seeding"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggie

Rookie
Joined
May 28, 2009
Messages
47
Hi,
I just saw the thread "About Seeding" but did not really understand what it was getting at? Is it people that idle in the server to make it look like it's got more players than there actually are, or is it the first people to join when it's almost empty?

This is probably a really stupid question, so sorry!

Oh and if you're idling, can you unlock new items?
 
Actually, I have some additional questions.

How does server ranking work, exactly? And how does it compare to that whole "server point value" system Valve talked about in their blog some time ago?
 
Actually, I have some additional questions.

How does server ranking work, exactly? And how does it compare to that whole "server point value" system Valve talked about in their blog some time ago?

I do belive it mainly has something to do with how many people are on conpaired to how many the server can handle, also it factors in how long people have been on that server. An ex. if 32 people out of 32 poeple where on a server all for 2hours each, it would have a higher ranking then a server with the same numbers where most just got on line. But I have no idea really.
 
The Valve ranking system is to help assess which servers are misrepresenting themselves and providing a false player experience.

The server ranking system often referred to is Gametracker (there are others) which use their own algorithms to rate servers based on, among other things, how often the server is full.

Thread locked.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top