Building a computer

Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
77
Im hoping to save enough money to build a new gaming computer in a few months, and I need help figuring out what kind of system I want.
Do I want to go AMD or Intel (I cant afford the Core I7's)?
Is crossfire or SLI better? Do I even need Crossfire or SLI?
I dont plan on overclocking. I just want a system that will play any game at high resolutions ( Im currently using a 19" but I plan on upgrading to a 25") with good settings.

Any input will be appreciated
Thanks
 
No offense, but please dont ask us to read your mind, because pretty much all of us (or the majority of us) dont have esp. We can however, recommend products for you to build a computer. First off, do you even know how to build a computer? If you do not, we suggest you go to iBuyPowers site, where they can create a custom built gaming computer for you. If you do know how to build a computer, then we need to know how much youre looking @ spending, so that we can give you recommendations on great products to buy in order for you to build a computer that you will enjoy building, not to mention playing on. Once that is settled, we will start the recommendations.
 
I dont have experience building computers myself, But I am familiar with the hardware, and I know people who can help if I run into trouble.

As for price, I dont want to spend more than $1500
 
Heres a build off Newegg:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz - $279.99
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - $104.99
MOBO: ASUS P6T - $239.99
VID: SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 - $164.99
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s $59.99
PSU: Thermaltake W0106RU 700W - $139.99
DVD+RW: SAMSUNG 22X DVD?R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA - $26.99

TOTAL:
$1,016.93 w/o taxes

I can do an AMD build if you want, probably be a bit cheaper.
 
Heres a build off Newegg:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz - $279.99
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - $104.99
MOBO: ASUS P6T - $239.99
VID: SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 - $164.99
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s $59.99
PSU: Thermaltake W0106RU 700W - $139.99
DVD+RW: SAMSUNG 22X DVD?R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA - $26.99

TOTAL:
$1,016.93 w/o taxes

I can do an AMD build if you want, probably be a bit cheaper.

This is a great build, but don't forget about the case. It will still be well under 1500.

Also if you are gonna go the i7 route you will most likely want to get an aftermarket cooler. The intel one is a POS. Even with this you will still be well under 1500, maybe even enough left over to get a larger monitor or upgrade to a better/another GPU.
 
Yea I know, but Id rather not choose a case cause I dont know what people want.

Also thats basically my build, well the CPU, Mobo, ram, psu, different 4870 though.
 
Good luck man!

And rogue is hackzorz and he stealz his computerz off teh internetz
 
I always liked the Intel sytems; However you do what you want. Build it the way you want even if it means to wait on the big parts. Once your finished your content with the system and your self. Best of luck with what ever you do.
 
Heres a build off Newegg:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz - $279.99
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - $104.99
MOBO: ASUS P6T - $239.99
VID: SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 - $164.99
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s $59.99
PSU: Thermaltake W0106RU 700W - $139.99
DVD+RW: SAMSUNG 22X DVD?R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA - $26.99

TOTAL:
$1,016.93 w/o taxes

I can do an AMD build if you want, probably be a bit cheaper.

Good build, you'll need a better PSU if you want to run more HD 4870's in the future. I'd recommend the NZXT Tempest which is $89.99 after MIR on Newegg.
It's amazing 6 fans total, 4 120mm, 2 140mm.

This build will last you a LONG time. Also if your going to play games on a 25" monitor I HIGHLY suggest you get the 1GB version of the HD 4870 where more memory helps out a lot in bigger resolutions.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146047&Tpk=NZXT tempest
 
Heres a build off Newegg:

AMD BUILD:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ - $189.99
RAM: 2x CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 - $140.00 (2x $70.00)
MOBO: ASUS M4A78-E AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX- $139.99
VID: SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 - $379.99
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s $59.99
PSU: Thermaltake W0106RU 700W - $139.99
DVD+RW: SAMSUNG 22X DVD?R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA - $26.99

TOTAL:
$1,076.94 w/o taxes

Pros about this build: Better GPU, More RAM, CPU cheaper and just as good for gaming

Cons about this build: Slower RAM, CPU is a few ranks below Core i7 in the charts and not as good for other uses than gaming
 
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz -$245.00
RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3- 89.00
MOBO: DFI LP DK 790FX- 169.99
VID: XFX GX285XZWBF GeForce GTX 285 1GB Black Edition- 349.99
HDD: SAMSUNG HD502HI 500GB 5400 RPM $49.99
PSU: Rosewill RX750-D-B 750W 80Plus Certified - $119.99
DVD+RW: SAMSUNG 22X DVD?R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA - $26.99

TOTAL: $1048.98 w/o taxes

^ little more expensive then rouges build but it will blow it away and the black edition 955 you can overclock if you want...
 
The 4870 X2 is better than the GTX 285 especially in benchmarks due to more stream processors, faster core, and 2GB of DDR5 instead of one... as much as I love Nvidia, the 4870X2 out does the GTX285 Second, I got him that board so he can go from AM2+ to AM3, thus that is why its DDR2. Third, yes I could have bumped him up to the 3.2 model, but for 60$ the performance/price ratio is not worth it. Lastly are we kidding, 5400RPM, you might as well give me a Dell, if you're gonna give me that...

That build has a low chance of out performing the AMD build I wrote up.
 
Heres a build off Newegg:

AMD BUILD:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ - $189.99
RAM: 2x CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 - $140.00 (2x $70.00)
MOBO: ASUS M4A78-E AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX- $139.99
VID: SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 - $379.99
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s $59.99
PSU: Thermaltake W0106RU 700W - $139.99
DVD+RW: SAMSUNG 22X DVD?R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA - $26.99

TOTAL:
$1,076.94 w/o taxes

Pros about this build: Better GPU, More RAM, CPU cheaper and just as good for gaming

Cons about this build: Slower RAM, CPU is a few ranks below Core i7 in the charts and not as good for other uses than gaming


Also a very good build. Rogue has explained all of it.
 
Thanks for the build Rogue!

I just have one question.
Since the Mobo you suggested has 2 PCI-E ports, I was wondering if I could put the 9800GT I have now in the second and use it for PhysX?

Thanks for the help everyone!
 
Thanks for the build Rogue!

I just have one question.
Since the Mobo you suggested has 2 PCI-E ports, I was wondering if I could put the 9800GT I have now in the second and use it for PhysX?

Thanks for the help everyone!

You could have it in there, but I dont know if will just use it for PhysX, as I havent seen or heard of that.
 
Back
Top