Updating and modding computer (summer project)

b0bfath3r

Thread Junky
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
845
I've been working and raising money for a while now, and I've finally decided to update my computer a little and at the same time I will be modding my case.

My current computer:
AMD Phenom 9850 BE overclocked to 3.0ghz
Tuniq Tower 120
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066mhz
MSI k9a2 platinum motherboard
e-Geforce 8800gts 512mb
Blue Storm 500w power supply
SAMSUNG 750GB 7200 RPM HDD
Seagate 500gb 5400 RPM HDD
Seagate 80gb 5400 RPM HDD
COOLER MASTER HAF 932

Its been a while since I've touched the parts of my computer. I think the last part I bought was my hard drive last summer. Recently my power supply has been acting like it was being stressed too much. The computer would sometimes randomly crash when running high stress apps, like games. So I'm going to upgrade that to a ZALMAN ZM850-HP 850W so that my computer will have plenty of breathing room and the possibility to expand in the future.
The next part I'm wanting to upgrade is my video card. I've been researching cards for a while now, and I think I would like to get the xfx 4870 x2. I'm not too happy with the price on this, but I looked back I realized I spend about the same on my 8800gts when I got it. (I bought it right before the 9000's were introduced, if i would have waited just a bit longer, i would have saved $100+. :P ) Because of this, I'm not ordering the 4870 x2 quite yet, I'm waiting just a bit longer to see if they drop the price anytime soon.

While I'm getting these parts, I'm also going to be modding my haf 932, again. This case is awesome, but the inside is so ugly. I'm going to be painting the inside mostly black with the harddrive rack and a few other parts painted red. I'm trying to make it look like the one in from here: http://www.overclock.net/case-mods-general-discussion/452724-haf-932-mod-black-red-paint.html. I've already installed red lights inside with red toggle switches on the outside from a previous project. I've also ordered some red shrink tubing and red cable sleeves, to cover up the wires that are freely running around the case.

Pictures:

This is the one of the switches in the off position.

Same switch on. The switches have red leds embedded in them.

This is the side with the lights on. You can see why I want to paint the inside, the default gray is ugly and takes away from the beauty.

Front view with switches on. If you own a haf 932, you can see how I dealt with the super bright blue power led. :biggrin:

Angled view with lights on.

I'll post pictures as I get stuff in and start working.
So comments, Suggestions? Post your thoughts.
 
Last edited:
I love my haf 932 too, it has got some great modding potential :) Good luck with it :D
 
A quick update:
I got my power supply in the mail today, very large, but nice. Before I install it I'm going to do the paint job in my case. The weather forecasts say its going to rain the next couple of days, so I'll have to wait until the weekend to start taking the computer apart and start painting.

Pics:



 
That's a huge PSU wow, good luck.
Phenom II's will overclock a lot higher than yours, good choice on the HD 4870 X2.
 
yes PSU is very large, and very heavy. Heavier than a brick. about the size of one too.

I'll start the deconstructions process on monday, this weekend is showing signs of lots of stuff going on, including painting of the house, having family over, and other stuff. Ill post pictures of the entire process.
 
Back
Top