I'm going to medical school!!

v3473r

I made one post
Joined
May 18, 2009
Messages
6
Just got accepted to Ohio University's school of medicine. Figured I'd share with all my new eGO comrades-in-arms.

This means I'm going to have to do as much gaming as possible in the next month before school eats up my life.

Cheers!
 
Congrats, have fun, good luck, and if i ever need a medic, i know where to look :P
 
Congratulations! Now prepare yourself for 4 years of relentless punishment... well, it's not quite that bad, but it's pretty tough.

My recommendations are first, to live as close to the medical school during your first year as you can, and try to room with other med students. It makes life sooooooo much easier. By 3rd year, your clinical rotations take you all over the place so it matters less where you live.

Second, start gradually studying for Step I Boards as early as possible and keep reviewing. You'll be tested on things at the end of year 2 that you will learn during the 1st week. It's good to start reviewing boards-style questions early on, and set aside 1-2 hours a week purely for boards review, in addition to your normal studying.

In addition to any text books that you are required to get for first year classes, be 100% sure to pick up the Board Review Series books, they all look like this, just in different colors:
51B0X1PEYNL.jpg
892-1.jpg

These books have alot of high-yield material that will make your life easier.


Also, I would highly recommend the West text for respiratory physiology:
9780781751520.jpg


Good luck and squeeze in plenty of good gaming before you go!
 
Good luck!
(I'd go with my normal closing of "stay in school", but since you're going to school, it'd kinda loose it's point)
 
Ah, I'm so jealous. ;P

I'm only first year university student, but wish to pursue a career in medicine. I'll have 4 years of undergrad then the MCAT and interview. I really want to get into medicine as well. I took 3 different university courses in grade 12 high school, so I'm a tad bit ahead.

I've have one cousin who's a working pharmacist, getting $50/hour at Safeway, but is going back to school for a medical doctorate. My other cousin is in her third year university and pretty much already has no time out - as she's crammed with books and studying. I congratulate your hardwork into getting accepted to med school. As somebody already said, 4 years of post-grad punishment and another few years for internships, residency and another test for your final license to practice medicine and you can call yourself 'Doctor!'

I have so many questions for you!

Did you volunteer at hospitals or do other microbiology research in highschool? If so, how much and for how long?
Did you continue to volunteer in post-secondary?
What was your GPA in your fourth year university?
How hard was the MCAT? ;P
What were some of the typical questions in the interview? How many people judged you?

Yeah, that's a lot of questions, don't worry if you don't want to answer them. ;P
 
Thanks guys! Letwoose, thanks for the advise. The cool thing about OU is that for rotation you stay with one hospital for 2 years. At least that's what they told my during interviews...

Thanks again to all!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top