- Joined
- May 18, 2008
- Messages
- 600
I've been running my own Linux servers for about 10 years now, for a variety of purposes. I'm not a huge fan of GUI-based Linux tools, so I'm almost always 100% command-line oriented. That tends to scare people off, but once you've learned it, a million possibilities are at your disposal. I highly suggest to anyone considering a career in science, engineering, or IT to consider learning at least a few core commands. Once you go text mode, you'll never want to go back!
I generally just throw together whatever spare hardware I have around to make my Linux machines. Except for wireless cards (which support is getting better but still a bit spotty), pretty much any hardware setup you can put together will run most services.
However, this time, I was aiming for a different goal. Most of my linux machines are optimized towards cost - ie, what have I got lying around I can use for free? This time, however, I wanted to try and drive down the power usage. My linux machine runs constantly, but it generally isn't demanding in terms of resources. I have a couple of old laptops, but they're really underpowered and they're also power hogs.
After considering a bunch of different options, I decided to get a netbook. I did a bunch of shopping around and picked a refurb Asus Eee 900a, and spent the money I saved by going refurb to upgrade it to 2GB of ram and a 16gb SSD.
Now... what can you do with a 24/7 connected linux machine?
Some of the things I've done or have done include:
All this for $200 in hardware, and just 10W of power! The specs on the Eee 900A may seem modest, but they're more than enough to handle all this and stay almost constantly idle. Having a built in monitor and keyboard is a bonus for setup and maintenance. The 900a's keyboard is a bit tiny compared to the HP Mini 1000 that I got for my wife a few months back, but I can do most of the administration via the network.
The major benefit of using Linux is that it's free, packages are generally easy to install and are readily available, and everything is configurable and versatile. I have a great appreciation for all OSes (I use OS X and Windows constantly as well) but very little matches the power of Linux for a home server. If you're interested in computers either as a hobby or a career, consider setting up a linux box - and if you haven't already, learn how to ditch the GUI!
I generally just throw together whatever spare hardware I have around to make my Linux machines. Except for wireless cards (which support is getting better but still a bit spotty), pretty much any hardware setup you can put together will run most services.
However, this time, I was aiming for a different goal. Most of my linux machines are optimized towards cost - ie, what have I got lying around I can use for free? This time, however, I wanted to try and drive down the power usage. My linux machine runs constantly, but it generally isn't demanding in terms of resources. I have a couple of old laptops, but they're really underpowered and they're also power hogs.
After considering a bunch of different options, I decided to get a netbook. I did a bunch of shopping around and picked a refurb Asus Eee 900a, and spent the money I saved by going refurb to upgrade it to 2GB of ram and a 16gb SSD.
Now... what can you do with a 24/7 connected linux machine?
Some of the things I've done or have done include:
- Firewall/router - before they became cheap/common, an inexpensive linux machine worked well for this task. In fact, many popular routers are just stripped down linux boxes.
- Web server - For hosting private content, or when you don't want to pay for hosting. Or, install PHP or whatever language you want to learn/work with and start hacking.
- SQL - MySQL is the perfect compliment to a web server.
- File sharing - Samba allows you to share files with almost any type of client OS.
- SSH - SSH gives you remote command line access to a server, which is handy, but...
- SSH Port Forwarding - allows you to break out of most any restrictive firewall, and even access content on your home LAN from outside your network. On top of that, running connections over a SSH tunnel makes your connection secure, regardless of the protocol.
- DVR/TV recording - Certainly an advanced topic - not at all easy to set up or maintain, but it is possible and I've done it in the past. The pain of setting it up and maintaining it led me to just buy a Tivo this year

- Private IM - set up an IM server just for you and your friends
- IRC BNC - keeps you connected to IRC 24/7 - even if you shut down your client computer or client software...
- Bittorrent - Start or manage downloads remotely. Legal stuff only, right kids?
- Mail server - I've done this in multiple configurations - a 'mail aggregation server' that grabs my mail from a number of sources and puts it all in one place, even rolled my own webmail for accounts that had bad webmail services.
- Web proxy - speed up your web surfing, especially if you have multiple web users in the house. Locally cached copies of major sites are much faster to load.
All this for $200 in hardware, and just 10W of power! The specs on the Eee 900A may seem modest, but they're more than enough to handle all this and stay almost constantly idle. Having a built in monitor and keyboard is a bonus for setup and maintenance. The 900a's keyboard is a bit tiny compared to the HP Mini 1000 that I got for my wife a few months back, but I can do most of the administration via the network.
The major benefit of using Linux is that it's free, packages are generally easy to install and are readily available, and everything is configurable and versatile. I have a great appreciation for all OSes (I use OS X and Windows constantly as well) but very little matches the power of Linux for a home server. If you're interested in computers either as a hobby or a career, consider setting up a linux box - and if you haven't already, learn how to ditch the GUI!

















)

