Laptop memory upgrade

pillar

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
2,968
Well I have an old school Gateway MX6421 & its def way over its warranty, so if I open it up, there wont be an issue. I need help finding 1 of the memory slots. I cant seem to find the memory slot that doesnt have memory in it. This laptop comes w/ an AMD Turion 64 cpu w/ 512 mb ddr333 memory installed & like a guess a 70 gb hd. Anyways, any info that you can find would be very appreciative. Looking to upgrade this to 1gb memory. Information via search engine is very scarce & hard to come by.
 
They don't hide memory slots.

They'll be together.

Are you sure there's another one? Especially if it's an older laptop?

Try to find some documentation about your laptops motherboard if you can.

And as for search engines... how do you think the rest of us find info and fixes for stuff people ask about? :)
 
Well hate to say this blooming idiot, but in a way they did hide the memory slot from me. I just NOW found it. What they did was put the primary memory in the top slot instead of the bottom slot. The bottom slot would have been better, but I doubt they knew that I was gonna be upgrading the memory. But thankfully it wasnt hard 2 find it. Now to find good cheap memory...
 
That wasn't hiding, that's a laptop.. SO-DIMMS are always stacked...
 
actually some computer companies do hide memory even other components of their pc's... when i worked in Geek Squad i worked on a laptop to do a easy memory and HD upgrade yea little did i know the memory slot had one visable it was stacked but the main chip was in the middle also replaced a bad HD.. this one didnt have the BAY liek they do now ya knwo slide it out eith one screw and boom done .. no i had to completely romove the keyboard for the memory... and had to remove the motherboard to install a new HD if i had a PIC of it i would show you... its one fo the most frustrating thigns ive ever worked on as far as laptops are concerned... and no this wasnt a custom laptop i dont remember the company that amde it tbh but i think it could have been averatec... anyways thought that useless peice of info could be useful lol
 

Latest posts

Back
Top