Need to find a notebook

xenophek

Forum Fiend
Joined
Jul 18, 2008
Messages
735
I do desktops. I think I know what I need for a desktop at any given time, and where to find it the cheapest. However, I don't usually drool over laptops. They're underpowered, overpriced, and usually too hot.

Unfortunately, I am in dire need of a new laptop. Even more unfortunately, I am on a severely low budget. This is where I need your help, Edge Gamers. I need to find a laptop for no more than $500 that will play games. I'm not holding my breath for Crysis on High graphics, but if I could get TF2 on low graphics at the native resolution (smoothly), I'd be perfectly content.

Gamers of Edge, I hereby challenge you to find me the best possible laptop for my $500. Oh, and please explain to me WHY it's the best laptop.

Many thanks,
-Xen

P.S. Memory (RAM) should not be factored into the equation, because I can easily upgrade that. Same for hard drive space. If I can get a laptop with good graphics but crappy RAM, I won't cry.
 
Last edited:
I need this laptop because the old one died. (Everex NM3500w) and I have $500. Logic tells me that I should go ahead and get something that can somewhat entertain me while I'm traveling(which is A LOT). I have a flippin' sweet desktop, but it doesn't do me much good when I'm on the road, and a Cosmos 1000 is hell to bring with me.

I made it hard because I know you guys adore me. I appreciate it ;)
 
I didn't want to be negative but last year, I bought a 1500$ laptop and I can play DOD:S but most of the time, my fps is like ?%?%$/"...I play with all the setup at the lowest on 1600X 1020 with a Nvidia 8600 GS with 3 gig ram, 2.2 Ghz Centrio Duo cpu. I know that my thread won't be very helpfull but I would suggest you to wait to have much money and at least get a 1000$ system with good graphic to run your TF2 smoothly.
 
So sad. I could build a killer desktop for $500, including the monitor. Thanks guys. It appears my quest is in vain.
 
that sucks xeno i hope you find a good one. me and my wife were looking at laptops last night cuz she wants a new one cuz hers is a bit dated. we found a cool tiny guy that has a 160gig hard drive and a gig of ddr2 ram not sure on the cpu but for 270 i didn't think it's too bad we're gonna get it for her in a week or two.
 
Last edited:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115556
this one will probably be able to play tf2 on LOW but man you've made this a hard search
update:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4636888&Sku=S445-150039
is probably a better bet at a lower price (i have the ati mobility radeom 3100 so this one will be slightly better)

may i query why you need this laptop.

I'm going for the second choice, that one's pretty sick
 
Don't know if you want to sacrifice the processor power, but MSI has a (very) low-end laptop with a GeForce 9100M gpu. i read here that it's about equivalant to the desktop x1650xt:
This notebook (Acer Aspire 4530 with AMD Turion X2 with GeForce 9100M G) score 1415, which is almost as good as dedicated ATi X1650 XT with desktop CPU. In my perspective this figure is really good when we consider 9100M G is integrated chipset for budget notebook. But bear in mind, Tomshardware result is based on 1024?768 resolution setting while this notebook benchmark was done using its native resolution which is 1280?800). Other setting should be remain the same (default setting).

Not the same laptop, but the same gpu...for $429, it's on newegg: MSI VR630 NoteBook AMD Mobile Sempron SI-40(2.00GHz) 16" 2GB Memory 160GB HDD DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9100M G - Retail
 

Latest posts

Back
Top