Lag

Rated_R

Active Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
388
Ok Ive tried every solution posted on this site to no avail.
I am currently running 1 Netgear WGR614V2 router and a modem from the cable company.
I bought a Netgear WG111V3 adapter for my computer to be wireless. I am connected my download speed dropped from an average of 900k when downloading from steam servers in Miami (I live in Orlando) to about 40k (sometimes even less) when no other programs are running. A temporary solution of mine is to snake an ethernet cord from my office to the router in my dads office. 22FT. The adapter is still 22ft away. My dad won't have an ethernet cord running through his house and I dont want to do it either. Should I just buy a new Router for me?
Or should I just move back to my dads office and be wired again. Ive set my rates to what Artimus mentioned in "Common Problems". That actually made it worse. What I do run is cmdrate 100/updaterate 100/rate 25000. My internet speed according to my cable company is 7MGBS. Or should I just ask them to bring it to 10MGBS and pay the extra $10 a month.

Im just getting tired of not being able to play internet games because it lags.

So Ill try any solution.
 
Don't upgrade your ISP 7MB/s is good i get 750KB/s and don't lag
I assume you're wireless?
Regardless of internet speed it will not run at 7MB/s if you are wireless
Depends how far you are away from the source of the internet and how much is blocking the way...
That being said I was wireless for awhile 750KB/s even though the wireless was going though 2 walls so I dunno
Do you lag when connect directly? (Ethernet cable)
 
when downloading from steam go to settings and experiment with the "downloads" settings specifically the "approx. speed of your internet connection". I would try the fastest three settings and see which one works best. But make sure when you change one that you RESTART steam for the changes to take place. If you simply select another connection type you wont see any change. You habe to restart steam client to see any change.

in terms of in-game try these commands

cl_updaterate 67
cl_cmdrate 67
cl_interp 0
rate 25000

hope this helps, if not I dont know, contact your ISP maybe and describe your problems to them.

-Blue
 
Don't upgrade your ISP 7MB/s is good i get 750KB/s and don't lag
I assume you're wireless?
Regardless of internet speed it will not run at 7MB/s if you are wireless
Depends how far you are away from the source of the internet and how much is blocking the way...
That being said I was wireless for awhile 750KB/s even though the wireless was going though 2 walls so I dunno
Do you lag when connect directly? (Ethernet cable)


I dont lag when directly connected.
Also 22ft away from the router and modem itself with a clear line of sight and my adapter is 6 ft off the ground as is my router and modem.
 
Ok, if I get the router above, could I use any wireless N adapter or would I need a linksys wireless N adapter?

Or could I just buy the router and connect to my current network?

Its just my dad isn't gonna shell out that much money for 2 adapters (one for my sis/one for me) and the router so I can play games without trouble.
 
Last edited:
Before spending money, use the approach that if it is, you feel mad at your self :P
Try cleaning your computer (PHYSICALLY, like get a vacuum and clean the cpu, cpu fans, etc.)

Also, in Artimus' thread "Common Issues":

rate 20000
cl_updaterate 30
cl_cmdrate 66

Try those.
 
Last edited:
Ok, if I get the router above, could I use any wireless N adapter or would I need a linksys wireless N adapter?

Or could I just buy the router and connect to my current network?

Its just my dad isn't gonna shell out that much money for 2 adapters (one for my sis/one for me) and the router so I can play games without trouble.

Can anyone answer???

Or can I just get a wireless G network card from netgear?
http://shop.buynetgear.com/store/netgear/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/parentCategoryID.18326200/categoryID.18326600
 
Last edited:

the linksys modem posted above should support any N adaptor card. I believe N is still currently in its draft stage of production but so are the adaptor cards, so should not be a problem there. Please anyone correct me if im wrong. Im not a modem expert unfortunutely.

-Blue
 
Are there any cordless phones in the house? If so, what frequency are they? Does your sister's PC lag as well, or is it just you? Try pinging a common server on all three machines to see how the network reacts. If you'll answer me those questions, I believe I'd be better able to help you diagnose the problem. There's no reason you should have to buy new hardware.
 
No Cordless phones (they got old so we got rid of them), sisters computer doesn't lag, and my dad is hard wired, but I don't know how to "pinging a common server"

Could I have a D-Link router on a Netgear Network though?
Edit: My dads machine is a laptop, my sisters is just an old compaq desktop.
 
Last edited:
you answered you own problem, pretty much. you said you lag when you're running wireless through your router...yet you do not lag when you are hard wired to either your router or your modem.

take out the middle man, don't go wireless. that is your problem. so there are a few things that could cause your wireless connect to be terrible. #1 cause would be your router itself. and like you just answered #2 could be interference
 
/facepalm Junk

Junk the point is, My dad will not let me snake a cord through the house to his office to the router from my computer, I have to be wireless. So how do I fix my wireless lag? Kind of stated that before.
 
Well, to fix a wireless connection can get complicated. There are so many variables involved. I'd love for you to add me (click the button below) and we'll do some uber troubleshooting through Steam chat.

In the meantime, does your computer's connection get better the closer you are to the wireless router?
 
No it does not get better, the signal strength where my computer is currently at is full strength, Could you add me to steam instead om on my dads computer.

Its Sgt_Spyder
 

Latest posts

Back
Top