Really cool computer problem

Blue Stealth

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Jun 21, 2008
Messages
6,201
alright so i was not sure whether to put this in tech talk or help, because its a rather interesting issue, but here it is. In my secondary system my evga 680i motherboard was not in good shape before I brought it overseas withme. Losing a RAM slot before the shipping and losing a RAM module during the move I was not pleased.:sneaky2:

Well I had an interesting experience after figuring out I could only use the first two DIMM on my motherboard. I kept getting the C1 error which is basic memory scan failure. Well i had it on its side to work on it when i tried to start it up it worked fine. Turned it back upright and it didnt work. So my computer only works on its side now. :glare:

I managed to narrow down the area of the board that was causing issues after clearing everything but the memory modules and slots. When starting it in the upright position (the computeR) I must push down on the RAM modules to get past the C1 post error. After I got past that when I let go the computer freezes up, couldnt even get past BIOS.

It also kept telling me floppy drive failure after I continually would go into the BIOS and disable it (I have no floppy drive). I always got some errors during startup telling me to check cpu and memory voltages and frequencies.

Well I guess what I am asking is, if I was to try to fix the motherboard, where would be the best place to start? im not expecting for anyone to tell me like, "oh you need to resodder point 16b blah blah", but rather what specific part could cause an issue like this.

Im dumbfounded and at this point am rather amused:sleep:. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention I was getting all sorts of post error codes from USB failures to video failures. The most favored errors were 25 and 50, which are "USB controller" error and "Shadow VBIOS Shadow system/video BIOS" respectively.

Thanks

-Blue
 
Last edited:
What exactly are the error codes? I'd personally save up to buy a new one, if you need it.
 
Wow. Did the shipping guys kick the damn box across the tarmac? What strange problems. Well, for starters, I want to recommend that you get a new motherboard. If that's not in the cards, I totally understand and it's time to get creative.

So the memory works when you push it down? Toward the motherboard, or to one direction? If it's toward the motherboard, try putting some tissue paper in the grooves where the levers lock the RAM into place before you actually lock them into place. This will/should add some downward pressure and will recreate what you're doing with your fingers. If I've got the imagery wrong, let me know and I'll try to think of something else.

While I'm sure we can slowly but surely fix some of the problems on the motherboard, I really recommend that you start setting aside money for a new motherboard. If you'd like to chat through steam, feel free to click the button below. I'll do whatever I can to get you up and running again.
 
You may have a grounding issue - it's possible that by pushing the board down you're causing it to ground (properly I guess?) to the standoffs. Of the PCB is damaged and by applying slight pressure you're re-creating the connection.

Either way, I seriously doubt you're going to fix this one. I think xenophek is right in his suggestion - it's time for a new motherboard. It really sounds like it's either a broken connection somewhere...and if it's INSIDE of the PCB then there's not a thing you can do about it. Even if it's an externally connected component like a capacitor or resistor or something you're not likely to find exactly the right part, get a new one and get it into place right AND get it everything working again. At this point I'd get at least a new motherboard, and be aware that you may need a new CPU as well. Just my opinion.
 
yeah thanks guys. I think its an issue with the standoffs because looking at it closely the board is slightly warped. Its time for a new board i thinks.

-Blue
 

Latest posts

Back
Top