Flooded Basement - Important info for home owners

Deacon

DGX Hosting
Joined
Jul 1, 2006
Messages
414
Just a note to home owners out there. If you have a sump pump and your basement gets water from time to time and you don't have sump pump coverage on your home owners policy make sure you get it!

We thought our policy (w/ sump pump coverage) allowed for personal property protection up to 173K and an additional 5K for basement restoration, but we were wrong.

We are given up to 5K for total damages. This include the emergency crew that came out to removed the water, carpet padding, baseboards, etc. After they get their $1500+ and we get new carpets $1800 that will leave us with $1700 to repair walls, replace furniture, clean and deodorize the house, and replace the "stuff" that was damaged. The emergency crew left standing water in a utility room, under the furnace/AC, and under the basement stairs.

So now we get to enjoy a long battle w/ the insurance company to replace/repair:

Lost to the flood:
  • DNS server (P4 3.2, 2 TB HDD)
  • Xbox 360
  • TV stand (custom sony base)
  • cordless drills
  • sofa and love seat legs
  • toys
  • books
  • 1 box of records
  • Cisco 48 port managed GigE switch
  • Furnace/AC
  • APC Smart-UPS 420
  • two other Geek Squad UPS
  • Asus MoBo
  • Rockband 2 wireless guitar
  • Cordless phone
  • Carpets/Padding
  • Artificial Christmas Tree w/ lights
  • Christmas lights (indoor/outdoor)
  • Ice Cream Maker
  • 1 box of financial records
  • 3 books shelves
  • 1 box of books (hardback)

I'm sure I'm missing some things on the list.

DSC_0107.jpg



DSC_0116.jpg
 
NOT THE ICECREAM MAKER!! NOOO!!! Lol jk

Dude that really sucks. That hapened to me too but in a fire =p
 
Oh my God thats horrible! I hope it all gets resolved painlessly and quickly. If there is anything I or we can do here at eGO to help let us know.
 
Sorry to read about your bad luck. :(
I hope it all works out for you, in the long run.
 
My basement flooded alot, but then we got the pipe fixed. It's nasty stuff. Good luck on getting everything back.
 
Wow dude i'm so sorry that that happend to you, hope you get it all fixed up and playing again! :)
 
:scared: Thanks for the heads up info, I have always been iffy about putting electronic equipment in a basement in fear of what just happened to you.

Good luck w/ the insurance!
 
That's why Im sort of glad we cant have basements where we live. Hope everything sorts out good in the end though Deacon.
 
Thanks for the heads up Deacon, I have to make sure my basement office is covered.

I hope you get everything worked out soon. :)
 
it sucks cause u weren't covered. I had a flood in my basement a few years back and it was the best thing that happened to my house.
Got lots of new stuff but didnt get it fixed for about 5 days and our sewage pipe broke in a storm.
Ya it was gross it was about 3 feet of crap water all over the basement. All the companies were in use so it wasnt cleaned for a while :( sucks
 

Latest posts

Back
Top