worst FPS in old games

Bravo Company

Forum Fiend
Joined
Mar 30, 2009
Messages
645
OK, I just got farcry 2, I got it maxed out on DX9 everything on ultra and high, I'm getting 30-50 FPS solid, no less, maybe more. I can also run COD4 at 1078X789 (or something close to that) maxed out and never drop below 65 FPS.


I play on Dod:S with high/medium settings and get FPS in the 20-80s

Specs:

Phenom 9500 quad (~2.2GHz)
3 GB ram
visiontek 3870 512 MB OC
Nvidia 6150 SE (< motherboard)


The only way I think I can get more FPS is by overclocking my CPU because CSS/DoD:S arn't using the other 3 cores. If someone could give me an overclocking CPU guide for dummies that would be nice please.
 
Ahhh you've discovered as to why to this day fast duo cores still bench as high and often far higher than quad's. Most games over a couple years old only utilize 1 core, and even modern games utilize duo cores at most and spill a tiny % of usage onto other cores. I can count on 1 hand the games that actually properly utilize 3-4 cores.

Correct tho, the best way to see more FPS would be to turn down game settings or OC your CPU. Or upgrade but for 1 game that would be silly.
 
Last edited:
hey bravo company, i take it you have an after market heatsink fan? if not, id suggest you invest in 1, if you are to do some overclocking, because if you try 2 oc on the standard heatsink that amd gives ya, you wont get very far. so its best to be on the safe side by gettin a different heatsink that will help oc w/o ur cpu having kittens (just my lil saying).
 
Dosen't DOD:S have a multi-core option like tf2? I'm pretty sure it uses all 4 cores, atleast thats what rivatuner says when im playing tf2.

Usually 100% on core 0 and then like 30% on the other 3.
 
Last edited:
Question: Is it running smoothly?
If the answer is "yes" then you don't need to overclock
Why risk ruining your hardware for a game?
If you do overclock, and I suggest you don't, you better have a damn good cooling system...
 

Latest posts

Back
Top