Need Advice (Gamepads)

=[Ga]= AutoDMC

Thread Thumper
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
1,113
I use a Saitek Cyborg Command Unit ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-PZ31A-Pro-Gamer-Command/dp/B000BU0F5Y/ref=pd_sim_e_2[/ame]) instead of my keyboard when playing games. The biggest reason is that little four-way hat joystick on the side. I've mapped it to movement, and it just works for me. Years of console gaming has convinced me that joysticks move people, buttons do things :D

Unfortuneatly, my joystick is dying. It starts randomly sending "Y-100%" to the computer, usually at the worst times, when I don't want to be booking it backwards.

So, I'm looking to replace the keypad. However... I haven't been fully happy with the Command Unit. The lights in the keys are dim, and it has that little mode switch that always seems to be on the wrong mode. You have to have the programming software installed, and the software is CRAP. I'd rather tell the game "Walk is joystick button 3" than have to use their software to program key mappings.

So, I'm looking for a replacement in the near future! The Belkin n52te looks nice ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-n52te-Tournament-Edition-SpeedPad/dp/tech-data/B000WMEHYG/ref=de_a_smtd[/ame]), but I'd like to get some advice first.

The biggest deal is the joystick. I don't want some crunchy NES style keypad. I want something with a halfway decent joystick there, as I use it for movement, and I want as much control over that as possible. No N64 joysticks please!

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want a controller like gamepad, as my right hand must be free for the mouse...
 

Latest posts

Back
Top