My Summer PC Build

I'd change the case if your going to OC, otherwise it's pretty decent.
Also use Windows 7 it's amazing, I went from Vista Ultimate 64-bit to it and it works like heaven.
My wireless worked without even installing a driver!
 
First, DL Windows 7 RC, its free and pretty much stable thus it allows you to save 100-150$ and get a better GPU, RAM, Mobo, PSU, etc. or even a nice new LCD if you want.


Heres a better motherboard:

ASUS P5N-D, I had it on my last build, excellent board. $130

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131232

And a better PSU:


OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V - $85

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341019


The money you save by DLing Win7, you can use to buy these better components.
 
Thanks for the suggestions...

Forgot to mention the best thing about the build!
I've currently got a 26" Samsung LCD TV as my monitor... It's hooked up to my laptop atm, but it'll be my monitor for the new rig. Got a decent deal on it for $400 new.q
 
the best advice I can give PC builders is to stay away from Apevia cases. their cooling is poor and their build quality is awful. if you like the crazy glowing look, you can get a much better case here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133058

also if you're saving cash by not buying vista, you could upgrade your graphics card a bit. save a bit of extra cash on the PSU since you don't need 700W and get the 600W version of the same thing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

so try bumping your graphics up to a 4870:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102801

if not, I'd still recommend the 4850 over the GTS250 but the performance difference is pretty small (they're the same price though):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150351
 
Eww, an Apevia case.

I also reccommend the Asus P5 that Rogue Sniper Suggested. Great motherboard.
 
Thanks again for the suggestions...
I know the case isn't the best, but I've just looked at and seen so many different cases of the years and never really liked anything much better... Can't help but say I simply like it. Not planning on OC'ing this rig ... so we shall see. You can always get a new case in the future :)

I think I'm going with the Windows7 since I saw the thread for 50% off pre-orders. Sounds fun!
 
I just built my system recently - and went with this case (which regretably...just dropped from 109.99 to 99.99...damnit.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146047

This is a fantastic case. Large enough to fit your huge video cards, with 6 fans - three intake, three exhaust. I didn't find any of it flimsy, clunky, sharp edges, or anything of the sort. I was extremely pleased. The only thing I'd recommend is be SMART with your building. This was my first build, but I did a ton of research on the case and every component and as a result - didn't screw myself over. Some people rush into things with little concern or research and wind up breaking things.
 
First, DL Windows 7 RC, its free and pretty much stable thus it allows you to save 100-150$ and get a better GPU, RAM, Mobo, PSU, etc. or even a nice new LCD if you want.


Heres a better motherboard:

ASUS P5N-D, I had it on my last build, excellent board. $130

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131232

And a better PSU:


OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V - $85

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341019


The money you save by DLing Win7, you can use to buy these better components.

He doesn't need 700W for a single card and two of those won't run on that so the PSU is pointless. The motherboard is fine though. :)
 
I just built my system recently - and went with this case (which regretably...just dropped from 109.99 to 99.99...damnit.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146047

This is a fantastic case. Large enough to fit your huge video cards, with 6 fans - three intake, three exhaust. I didn't find any of it flimsy, clunky, sharp edges, or anything of the sort. I was extremely pleased. The only thing I'd recommend is be SMART with your building. This was my first build, but I did a ton of research on the case and every component and as a result - didn't screw myself over. Some people rush into things with little concern or research and wind up breaking things.

Yeah, the Tempest is great. Much more quality, more durability, and better features than an Apevia case. My friend got an Apevia, and he regrets it. His temps went up about 5 C and he was moving from an HP case, which already have terrible cooling.
 
Ok so making some changes from some peoples suggestions...
I think it might be up to another month until I get this started, so I might be upgrading the graphics to a 260 or 280, we shall see then. I've never had a problem with nVidia so I'm going to stick with them.

I'll take some suggestions on what to do with the GTS 250, in upgrading or keeping it there...

New Specs w/ eGO thoughts:
New Motherboard - Changed
CPU
Graphics Card - Upgrade?
PSU - Changed
Memory
Case - Not up for discussion, I've stated why I want this case.
DVD Player - Deactivated ... Suggestions please
Hard Drive -SWITCHED (not from eGO, but from review & friends) - The RPM's were fake/bad on the old HD.
 
Last edited:
i have an ATI HD 4890 1gig and its rockin

its preformance is like the geForce GTX 275 but cheaper

i have all the settings in css to the max and im still getting 70+ fps on de_train (most graphicly intense map of the game)

just a suggestion not saying its the "perfect" card for you its just another opinion
 
Ok so making some changes from some peoples suggestions...
I think it might be up to another month until I get this started, so I might be upgrading the graphics to a 260 or 280, we shall see then. I've never had a problem with nVidia so I'm going to stick with them.

I'll take some suggestions on what to do with the GTS 250, in upgrading or keeping it there...

New Specs w/ eGO thoughts:
New Motherboard - Changed
CPU
Graphics Card - Upgrade?
PSU - Changed
Memory
Case - Not up for discussion, I've stated why I want this case.
DVD Player - Deactivated ... Suggestions please
Hard Drive -SWITCHED (not from eGO, but from review & friends) - The RPM's are fake/bad.

That video card is just a 9800GTX+ with a new sticker on it, IMO go with the GTX 260 - 216
 
Well concerning your card, I personally am an ATI fan - they seem to be able to pull out more bang for your buck, at the moment. Might try something like a Radeon HD4870. With the 4890's out, you can get them for anywhere from ~130-150 right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102810

I recently bought a system myself, and went with this hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

And for my DVD player, I went with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151173

Don't get psyched if it says it's out of stock right now, they tend to come back in stock within a week over and over again. They're getting taken up quick for a reason, and they come back in stock quick for a reason.

...and I still think you might want to look into a different case, but whatever floats your boat.
 
Two Listen has really good advice there, I would go with the HD 4870 and DEFINITELY a new case. The case your picking has terrible cooling.
 
I just did the math for the current setup...

Not counting the Graphics Card or OS I'm sitting at $550 (plus shipping on some items)
If that 1g 4890 is really worth it, I'll spend the extra $50.
Also, will I need a new motherboard if I switch graphics cards?
 
I have a 4890 (the Toxic version from Sapphire, overclocked, vapor-x cooling) and I absolutely love it. There's nothing I can play exactly how I want it. It's one hell of a nice card.

The regular 4890's will have louder cooling, but also won't cost you 230-300 dollars. And I'm sure they'll perform great.

The card you linked to here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102830 Should be great, if that's the route you want to go down.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top