Console won't work

Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
77
I got my computer a few months ago and noticed that console doesn't work in any of my games. It wasn't a big deal at first, but now its really annoying. I've looked it up a hundred times, and nothing has worked. I'm running Windows vista home premium 32-bit. Anyone know how to fix this?
 
go in steam.

and my games-right click on dod or tf2 or what kind off game you want console-press properties- press set launch options-and write "-console" in the box without these""":)

i hope is helping.:)
 
Thanks. that worked in my steam games. but console still doesn't work in my non steam games. Is there a way to fix these too?
 
Seeing as lots of non-steam games are very different, you'll have to tell us which ones you mean so we can help you properly. :)
 
Not too familiar with Bethesda games on PC myself but I'll go have a look for you and update my post with anything I find.
 
Last edited:
Try to edit your oblivion.ini file located in...

\Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion

... find the line that says...

bAllowConsole=0

... and change the 0 to a 1.

Should be relatively the same procedure for FO3.
 
Looks like Captain Canuck knows a little more about Bethesda's game workings than me, hope that his fix works for you. :)

UPDATE: After some digging it looks like that fix might not work for either game. Can you tell us what operating system you are running, please? I hear there are some Vista-related issues.

UPDATE #2: I might not be here much longer so I'll post the Vista fix I found (just in case)

Rory2259 on the IGN Boards said:
For Vista users

Go to Control panel in the Classic View, then Device Manager, then Human Interface Devices, then right click on Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver and select uninstall. Don't worry, it will always reinstall itself upon a reboot. Don't select the option to restart now.
 
Last edited:
I checked out Captain Canucks suggestion. Both files had ballowconsole set to 1.
Then I tried the vista fix.but I don't have Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver in device manager. I just dont get why it doesnt work
 
I think I've got a fix for Oblivion, but there doesn't appear to be much alternative. Sourced from here, it would appear that a mod called "Ring of Console" might help.

Try downloading it here.

Unfortunately, such a mod is not mirrored in FO3. I guess every little helps, and I'll keep looking for more fixes.

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: I've pinned down a different version of the vista fix, someone wrote a lovely mini-guide of how they did it.

Zsteel in the GameSpot forums said:
1. Go into Device Manager -> Keyboards.

2. Right-click "Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard", choose "Update Driver" ("Update Driver Software" on Vista).

3. Choose "Browse my computer for software" (XP users tell it not to install automatically and say you'll specify the location, then when it asks you where you would like it to search for drivers choose the option to choose from a list) then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

4. Make sure "show compatible hardware" is checked, then select "HID-compliant device" and click next. Click any remaining "OK" or "Finish" buttons after Windows has installed the driver.

This should fix it(Did for me).
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top