New speakers

pillar

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
2,968
Well, Ive had these Altec Lansing BX1021 for a few years now, but im ready to upgrade since the bass doesnt work in the speakers anymore (I know, weird reason to upgrade, but I like bass feeling). So I need suggestions. Should I upgrade to the Altec Lansing BXR1121: http://www.alteclansing.com/index.php?file=north_product_detail&iproduct_id=BXR1221 or go with Logitech LS21: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...EMC-IGNEFL062509-_-Speakers-_-LP2C-_-36121019
I couldnt really find the Altec Lansing set on Newegg but the reason im asking is because Newegg has a free shipping offer on the Logitech, but I can pick up the Altec Lansing upgrade from my local Wal-mart. Price is about $1 different. So any suggestions?
 
My friend actually has the Bose Companions, and to be honest, I think Bose are way overpriced and aren't that amazing.

My brother has these and they're very good for their price.

http://www.alteclansing.com/index.php?file=north_product_detail&iproduct_id=vs4121blk

I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

My girlfriend actually has very similar ones to the Logitechs you're looking at. They're pretty good as well. Personally, I have a Logitech G51 sound system. It's great, but I think I should've saved up the money and bought the Z5500s instead. I think I could tear down a house with those babies.
 
I have Shure Ec4s that will smoke those Sennheiser.

Also, if you play MP3 and low quality sound any speakers will do. But if you have a inclination for good quality sound and your computer can put out 24 bit sound and you play loseless audio then the Bose are above the rest. Also, the Bose will last you 5 years at least, they don't cost 250 because of the name but due to quality components that will outlive other 50 - 100 dollar speakers twice as long at least.

To be honest, with that $200, you could get a pair of Sennheisers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106167

I think I should've bought these instead but I wanted a surround sound system at the time. Check out the response frequency on those babies. :P
 
Shure's a great company also. And yeah, if you're just playing low quality music, any sound system will do. If you're a big audiophile, then I'd suggest the high end sound systems like Logitech Z5500.

If you want great professional headphones, get a pair of Shures or Sennheisers. The Bose sound systems are decent, but I still think they're a little expensive and overhyped. And in terms of Bose headphones, Shures or Sennheisers are easily much better.
 
Ok, first off I appreciate all the feedback. I do apologize that I dont have alot of $$ on me, so the cheapest 2.1 speaker set that I can get will be awesome. That Bose speaker set, forget that stuff! Ill never spend over $100 in my life for a speaker set unless its 5.1 surround OR unless I strike it rich & feel like splurging. So far that $50 speaker set does sound good, but if I can get lower then that would be great. Just some more lil bit of info for you guys. I live in a 1st story apartment & we have people upstairs, so I dont want anything that will bug them, but will still produce great quality sound. I am an audiophile, but am willing to use some sound, but the big thing I would really like is to feel the bass again. I do have an old Creative sound card that does work on 24-bit sound, so it will carry. Also, if I had nuff $$, & was a more experienced dj, then I would def buy those headphones basically as a backup, esp since my mom got me some Bose headphones a few years back (which are such a blessing).
 
Haha, it really depends how thick the ceiling is. My girlfriend's $30 Logitech's subwoofer easily goes through walls.
 
Might be too much $$, but IMHO, the best of the best 2.1 speaker systems are the Logitech Z-2300 and the Klipsch Promedia 2.1. Both are THX certified, have amazing sound, and the bass can massage your feet if you rest them on the subwoofer. I've owned both of these sets and can't report a single negative about them. Unless you just need a 5.1 setup, either of these sets will amaze ~

Logitech z-2300 2.1 Newegg

Klipsch Promedia 2.1
 
Also might be out of your price range, but it's an amazing buy. Logitech Z Cinema -- Suggested MRSP $300, but Tigerdirect has them on sale for $80. It's technically a 2.1 speaker system, but they have SRS surround sound, which actually works and sounds amazing. I myself own a set, and they are some of the best speakers I've ever owned.

Logitech Z Cinema
 
I don't mean to be rude, but if you aren't going to spend more than $100 on speakers, you are by no way even close to an audiophile. Any audiophile worth his salt will tell you that Bose is terrible price/performance. Bose sounds way better than anything else that is featured at Bestbuy and Walmart, but is nothing compared to what is out there in the audio world.

Logitech Z5500 are junk. I have a friend that has them, and they are not worth it at all. If you want good sound, the best way to go is the following:

Swan M200 MKII
or
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MUXJCO"]M-Audio AV 40[/ame]

Either will blow away anything from Bose, Logitech, Creative, etc, etc, etc.

Side note: I don't know that these speakers would even qualify as audiophile. I would say they are for someone who enjoys good sound. In audiophile land, a DAC can run you $3,000 and be considered a "true digital bargain."
 
I just like the Z5500 for the large subwoofer. Yeah, my dad's more of an audiophile. His sound system costed him almost 10 grand. Made by NHT (Now Hear This). I love the name hehe. But each loudspeaker's got it's own 8" subwoofer. His amplifer's a Sunfire made by Bob Carver. It puts out around 250W per channel. He got this system over 10 years ago though.
 
Ok, seriously, you dont need $100+ speakers to be considered a audiophile. Even tho I did a research & it does say that audiophiles usually got for hi-priced speakers, I have headsets that produce really good sound that I got a really good deal on @ ebay. I would like some speakers to where I can feel the bass (its not necessary). So far that 1 2.1 set that is $50 sounds like a good deal. Like i said earlier, im not looking to spend a crazy amount of $$ on sound. If I had a bigger place that wasnt an apartment, then I would probably go for those $100+ speaker systems just to peak the sound. You guys have to understand, I am talking about a small room, not an entertainment center type sound (which is normally reserved for 5.1 speaker systems). So please stop suggesting over $100 speaker systems. I know that there is a limited selection of speaker systems that are 2.1 that are under $100, so thats all I am looking for right now.
 
Well, those Altec Lansings that I suggested is a VERY good deal. The $80 ones that is. My brother has those. It's got a pretty big subwoofer and it'll drop down to 20 Hz. You'll definitely feel the bass with that.
 
I got mine at costco.com, if you have a membership there buy at Costco. You can return them any time if they break, it is a no time limit satisfaction guaranteed return policy.


So far that 1 2.1 set that is $50 sounds like a good deal.
 
sorry frank booth, no costco membership. nearest costco is like 15-20 miles away, which im not bout 2 drive there for some speaker set, esp when my local walmart has a few to choose from.
 
sorry frank booth, no costco membership. nearest costco is like 15-20 miles away, which im not bout 2 drive there for some speaker set, esp when my local walmart has a few to choose from.

You won't drive 15 miles for a speaker system? :blink:

Gas must be $12 a gallon where you live. :P
 
my dad got me these for christmas when they were on sale for like $60. My dad used to work for Jenson speakers and was in a rock band so he knows all about the audio quality of stuff. They were the best speakers for the price range he was looking at. they are amazing and i find myself using them a lot more often than my headset now :) if you can find them on sale some where get them they are worth the money!
 
my dad got me these for christmas when they were on sale for like $60. My dad used to work for Jenson speakers and was in a rock band so he knows all about the audio quality of stuff. They were the best speakers for the price range he was looking at. they are amazing and i find myself using them a lot more often than my headset now :) if you can find them on sale some where get them they are worth the money!

I was actually looking at those when I was browsing the Altec Lansing website. Altec Lansing definitely makes quality sound systems for low prices.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top