Modem "send" light goes out randomly

Rukus.

Forum Fanatic
Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Messages
976
Every day, sometimes multiple times. My internet goes out because it appears to be not sending information. I've cycled my modem many, many times with no effect. It seems my internet is very unstable, making my work with Project X very hard to manage.

My modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB5101, and my service provider is NPG Cable, and my location is western Arizona.
 
Hmm, idk what to tell ya. I suggest you getting a new modem. They're not that expensive. When a modem fries its pretty much done for.
 
Have you tried unplugging it for a minute and plugging it back in. I used to have a similar cable modem with comcast and it would do that occasionally, but unplugging it would usually keep it going without losing connection for a few days at least.
 
I use the exact same modem. I've had similar problems on occasion. Unplugging the modem for a few seconds usually fixes the problem. Failing that, give your service provider a call, they can reset from their end.
 
If you're renting the modem from the cable company, complain to them, they'll either send you a new modem or discover it's a fault in the line.


If you own the modem, try borrowing a modem from a friend to see if it's your modem or your line.

If it turns out it's your modem, check to see if it's overheating. I had a couple of motorolas that would overheat constantly. The only thing you can do is replace it.
 
If you're renting the modem from the cable company, complain to them, they'll either send you a new modem or discover it's a fault in the line.


If you own the modem, try borrowing a modem from a friend to see if it's your modem or your line.

If it turns out it's your modem, check to see if it's overheating. I had a couple of motorolas that would overheat constantly. The only thing you can do is replace it.

+1 Comcast can give you a free modem whenever one breaks. Complain to them
 
I have plugged it in and unplugged it multiple times (cycled) to yield no results. So it looks like I have to contact my ISP.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top