COD4 Cannot set Extra Graphics

RustyPwns!

Thread Thumper
Joined
Jun 3, 2009
Messages
1,097
Hey I recently got cod4 but I had it before when I had an older video card. I used to have a 8600gt XXX edition and cod4 ran pretty nice on it even on Extra settings. Now I have a 9800gt and for some reason I cannot set my Graphics above normal. Before with my 8600 I was able to set the game to Extra graphics settings but now I can only set no higher than normal. What's the problem? Am I forgetting to set something? I have the latest nVidia drivers btw.
 
not sure if this is right but i think that your drivers are set to let the driver decide the settings

it should be "let the application decide"

go into the advanced section of the drivers and poke around, hard to screw anything up don't worry
 
Is the game patched up to the latest version? I do also have COD4, but I don't play it online because my vid card suck too much. Check driver settings, or try reinstalling Directx.
 
not sure if this is right but i think that your drivers are set to let the driver decide the settings

it should be "let the application decide"

go into the advanced section of the drivers and poke around, hard to screw anything up don't worry

where can I find this, "let the application decide" option?
 
Yes the Driver settings should be in the nvidia control panel. Just tinker around, and see what works.
 
It dosn't let me set above anything either, I just figured it dosn't go any higher than normal


card: visiontek 3870 512MB OC
 
I would go search this problem on google, I did a quick search, and there's also a bunch of people having the same problem as you are.

It seems that 8600GTs where able to set settings to Extra, and 8800 (I think the same problem applied to some models of the 8800), whatever it is, there's something wrong with the game. Its probably a bug, and the game may think your video card is one of the lower cards required for the game.

My 8500 can run the game at extra settings but the FPS sucks really bad, so I don't run the game at those graphics.
 
Ah, yeah I guessed so too. It's funny because a lot of people with higher end cards than mine can only run it at normal too, such as 290's, 295's etc. My friend who has a genuine nvidia 8800gt has the same problem too. There's apparently no solution to this. It's fine though. Well thanks a lot for your help Lt.Chips.

This can be locked now.
 
So your saying my GTX 280 SC might not be able to run CoD at extra graphics?!?

OH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! TF2 Heavy voice
 
Yeah, sucks that now that I'm gonna get a 9800GT, I won't be able to see COD4 in all of its glory.

And one word goes off in my head, and its DAMMIT!

Wait, wait... what DX version are you running? And what OS are you using?

I can always ask some of my other steam friends they have the game too, so I'll talk to them as soon as I can.

let's hope we can fix this, so I don't end up with the same problem as everyone else is having.

Btw, always a pleasure to help someone. After all, computers are the best thing I know...
 
Yeah same here :D

When you install the game it installs it's DX so that's not the problem and OS shouldn't have to do with anything. Honestly COD4 isn't that great of a game so It's already uninstalled :P Be happy that you're getting a 9800gt, it's friggin awesome!
 
rofl nope, max will be normal settings... and it'll look like garbage.

your seriously just said that? I'm running it on normal AA X4 and all the little perks (soft smoke, Depth of field, ETC) it still looks BEAUTIFUL at 90 FPS, I really can't ask for a game to look any better for being 2 years old.
 
hmmmm... I guess its time to try out the game on my 8500 GT on normal settings, and see how it does, should do good...

Yeah, I'm excited about getting a 9800GT, I really want to see Crysis run good on my machine, I got a excellent build too, 3GB of RAM, 3.0 dual core processor, there's really nothing can go wrong, and it'll be even better if I can dual run my 8500GT with the 9800GT I'm getting.

I can live without COD4, it was to be honest not as good as COD2, and COD2 was the best in my opioin, and multiplayer for that game should still be popular today!
 
I haven't even heard of this problem with COD4 until now. That just leaves me confused...
 

Latest posts

Back
Top