Lag problem

Blood

Forum Fiend
Joined
May 11, 2009
Messages
745
I can't play any other game besides CSS without there being unbareable lag... I have TF2 and NeoTokyo but it lags way to hard and I cant play them! How can I fix this problem?

510 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500

tell me what other info I need to post.
 
In game type this into console "net_graph 3". It should show your FPS and ping. What is your FPS and ping in TF2?
 
If you only have 510 MB usable memory installed, that is likely a big part of your problem. Your operating system will suck down some of it without anything else running, and I have seen TF2 easily use more than that on my system.

However, if you could post complete specs on your computer, that could give us a good idea if you need anything else (processor type and speed, type of memory not just amount, amount of video card memory, and internet connection speed would be useful). As well, have you ever been able to play TF2 and NeoTokyo without lag?
 
Yeah, I'm guessing that the lag he is experiencing has nothing to do with connection and everything to do with hardware.

RAM is extremely cheap now a days. You can get 2GB for about $24. Now that's if your motherboard will support 2GB. But still go out an buy a gig of ram and pop it in your system. You'll see improvements.

And if you have some extra cash to spend, I'd go out and get a new video card also. Even if your system only supports PCI, you can get a decent video card for about $50-60 and it will be able to run TF2.
 
Thanks for the help guys Ill go looking for a some RAM and a new video card.
 
Hopefully that should fix your problem. The FX5500 is a pretty good video card but it is an old one, so getting a newer one will help take a load off the computer and help it run the games easier. If you have less than a 2GHz dual core or 2.5GHz single core processor, you might want to look into upgrading that also. (I personally would overclock the processor if you can to eke out any additional performance, but be careful if you do this because it is rather risky).
 
You aren't using a laptop are you? Because then you can't upgrade. Also I think that video card is AGP, so you will have to find the card that fits a AGP slot. Second, the proccesor is what weights heavily in TF2 so im guessing you have a single core, which is going to kill your performance. Even with a new video card you aren't going to get "playable" fps with a single core, unless you use some tweaks.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top