TF2 running choppy

SlipperySnake

I made one post
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
17
Hey, I am having trouble getting my TF2 to run smoothly and I figured that many of you guys have a lot of TF2 experience so you might be able to help me. My Fps drops randomly whenever it seems like the game gets more intense. Even in 6v6 servers when my ping has been between 5-12. So far I have looked around and tried to turn all my settings down to the lowest and went to the lowest resolution I am comfortable playing at. Also I have closed just about every other program running simultaneously and done a clean restart that would eliminate others I missed. I have run out of things I can think to tweak. It would be great if someone could give me some tips even if I can just get a consistent 30 fps that would be great.

My specs are:
Intel Core 2 T7400 @ 216 GHz
2 GB of RAM
Windows Vista 32-bit
GeForce Go 7900 GS with 1 GB of RAM

Thanks in advance guys. If my system is just crap also let me know but I don't really have the money to buy any new parts. If the fixes include HUGE changes also like installing XP that is a little to much. Appreciate your time.
 
Your system isn't the problem.

I play on my laptop sometimes which has half the specs of that :)

Is there a virus scanner running in the background? Or spyware scan?

Has this problem always occurred or just recently? If just recently, can you think of any changes in hardware or software?

Trying finding some info about a command called MSCONFIG. If you go to start > run, type msconfig and hit Enter. Go into the Startup tab and uncheck everything that you know is unnecessarily. Digital camera software, QuickTime (qttime), iTunes, Adobe Reader, etc.

None of the program are deleted, they just stop starting with your PC and wasting resources. If you don't recognize it, either leave it or google it to find out what it is. Some viruses do hideout here and you can turn them off.

If you haven't done a virus scan lately or spyware, update them first, and then run them.
 
Thanks bro. Yeah it hasn't just been recently it has been since I started playing TF2. I have used MSCONFIG and turned off all I can. I am going to run both spyware and virus scans again and try to defrag. I will go over all those things again but thanks for the input and quick response.
 
Don't defrag your entire hard drive, just see if you can defrag just TF2 core files.

If you look it up in game properties in Steam for TF2 and it says anything else but 0% fragmentation, click the defrag button. That alone can fix a lot of slow-down issues.
 
Once you get all that done, come back and there is some other things we can try and help you with.
 
I had this same problem a while back and it was due to overheating. I propped my laptop up on a little stand (read: notecard holder) so that it can air out, and I haven't had any problems since.
 
Also, don't forget that Vista is a complete processor and memory hog. If you can I would recommend upgrading to XP or Windows 7 RC1. Both of those operating systems run much faster and would open up more resources for the game itself to run. The Windows 7 RC1 should be active till next year sometime, which would give you plenty of time with it before you needed to change.
 
Thanks dudes, I have tried running everything I can think of but it still seems to spike I am getting to the point where I might even try switching operating systems. It might be overheating but I already have a stand for it so I don't really know what else to do aside from blowing out the fan vents. Does anyone have some more advice on how I can either cool it down aside from buying a whole cooling system? Is there anything else I might try to fix my fps and spikes besides all the solutions mentioned? Thanks in advance.
 
You can pick up a very efficient cooling case for less than $100. Also, if you are using a stock cooler, you should probably get a better one to divert as much heat away from the processor as possible. If you get case fans, try to get as much airflow as possible while being within your sound limits (mine are typically less than 25db for fans).

If you want to keep your current case, you should probably open up the side of the case and leave it open. It is hell as far as dust bunnies go, so clean often if you do this, but it will help keep your computer cooler.
You can also cut a hole or drill a bunch of holes in the side panel to mount a fan there, but this is quite a bit of work.
 
Thanks for the advice dude the only problem is that it is a laptop =S. I would think they would have something to help cool it off but again I have a stand for it already. I will try to look around to find one for cheap if that is possible. It pretty much is used like a desktop.
 
With a laptop the best thing you probably will be able to do internally is wash the cooling fins in rubbing alcohol to clean them out completely and replace the cooling fan with one that moves more air. You would have to find one that fits in the laptop, so it is pretty hard to do, but sometimes you get lucky. You might consider punching some holes through the stand right under the air intake to help it get a little more airflow.

If you want to play tf2 smoothly, you might need to get a desktop. It would have better cooling and be capable of more performance. Some of the newer laptops can't really be upgraded, and the ones that can often use parts that aren't readily availble (except for memory)
 
On windows the bottom right hand corner has a lot of things there try to close as many as you can that are in there such as, anit-virus, msn messnger, aim, updates, java, etc., etc. that has helped me a lot.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top