The Ultimate Spy guide

Louis VI

EGO Zealot
Joined
Feb 20, 2009
Messages
1,847
Hello guys, this is Louis VI dit le GROS from the DOD:S division,

I'm currently making a guide for the spy that will show all the class information such as : His weapons, advantages and disadvantages versus all the other classes, tips and tricks and advanced techniques.

You might be asking, why are you making a guide when you're not even playing TF2 every day ? Well, first of all it might not seem like it, but I've been playing TF2 almost since it camed out, I bought the orange Box on December 25th 2007 and have been a Steam User since then, and I started playing spy almost every 3 day or sometimes every week since 2 years now. The main purpose of this guide is to show players new to the class how lethal it is and how viable it can be to the team.

Everyday, I will post it with my newest advancements in it, right now I almost finished the weapon section.

I hope this shall help everyone, and I'm thinking getting it out by next week or the week after but most likely by the end of next week.

If you have any ideas for new sections in the guide feel free to post them right here in this thread or just PM me trough my forum account or just add me as your friend on STEAM.

*Edit* Also, when it's finish feel free to modify it and post it back on the forums for more details about the class so that everyone can enjoy finding new techniques and stuff about it !

Here is where I'm:

IMPORTANT NOTE BEFORE READING: I MADE THIS GUIDE JUST TO SHOW NEW PLAYERS TO THE CLASS TO SHOW THEM HOW TO PLAY PROPERLY THE SPY AND ADVANCED SPY PLAYERS, TECHNIQUES THAT THEY MIGHT HAVE NOT HEARD OF.
Introduction:
The spy at my eyes is one of the most viable class in the team because he can sap sentries, disturb the enemy etc… However, the spy is one of the hardest classes in Team Fortress 2 but can be really lethal if used properly. This guide will cover the Spy Weapons, Advantages and disadvantages against other classes, tips and tricks, advanced techniques.


















The Spy weapons :

The revolver: It’s the spy primary weapon, but in most cases, people consider it as their secondary weapon because they use the Knife more often then the revolver. The revolver holds 6 bullets and carry 30 bullets in total (24+6=30 if you didn’t realise) It deals around 55-60 damage per shot. The main problem with the spy’s revolver is that it’s really noisy and draws a lot of attention. I personally recommend to use the Ambassador if you have one ( I will talk about it later) is more effective is you are really good at getting headshots. However, the revolver is still a decent weapon but I wouldn’t trust it on my life if I was you.



The sapper: For the sapper they’re isn’t much to say, it has unlimited ammo, it’s used to sap the enemy engineer buildings and that is pretty much it. It can be only destroy by the engineer wrench and it takes 2 hits by the wrench to be removed off the engineer’s buildings. Me what I usually do is when an engineer got his back turned to the sentry, I backstab him and In a fraction of a second I switch to my sapper and sap the sentry, it works 85 % of the cases ( I will talk about this technique more detailed in the tips and tricks section.) Also, here is the amount of time it takes to destroy an engineer building with a sapper:
• Level 1: 6 seconds
• Level 2: 7 seconds
• Level 3: 9 seconds









The knife: It’s probably the most favourite weapon of all people who use to spy, like all melee weapon it got unlimited usage. It deals around 30-55 damage, when it’s a backstab it’s an insta-kill. The knife is very useful to the whole team, for example: A medic-heavy pair , just get back behind the medic Stab him after kill the heavy and you got one potential team damager down. (Remember always pick your targets carefully.)




The disguise kit: Basically, the disguise kit is just to disguise yourself as the enemy team,
This link pretty much summarized it up: http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Disguise
Personally, it’s your choice of what disguise you should use or not, me I prefer being a soldier or a demoman, It’s pretty much you that chooses what is more suitable for you. The disguise for me I think it’s is good but a bit useless since pretty much everyone knows how to identify a disguised spy.






The invisibility watch: It’s really good for hiding yourself from enemies and after pick your target and kill him, the cloak duration is around if I’m not mistaken 15-20 seconds something around this number, but can be recharged by picking up fallen weapons or ammo. NOTE: A spy can lose his cloak completely by receiving jaratee.





Spy update unlockables:

The Cloak and dagger: It’s a spy invisibility watch that regenerates by standing still or not using it, so you can stay cloaked as long as you want just by standing still, I would recommend this watch to players who like to pick their targets very carefully and make sure that every shot counts. NOTE: when moving this spy watch loses more cloak power than the normal invisibility watch.




Also, it is in a .doc that i'm gonna upload on rapid share so you can view it, it contains many images. rapidshare link:

[ame]http://rapidshare.com/files/252770645/The_Ultimate_Spy_Guide.doc.html[/ame]

NOTE: WHEN IT IS FINISH I WILL POST A NEW THREAD

Hopping that everyone will find something that will interest them in this guide,
As Always,
Louis
 
Last edited:
Be nice to have a spy guide for the new Items that he has. Most are outdated. Good luck with the guide!
 
I'll probably have quite a bit to add, as will a couple other spies. Looking forward to what you can do, though.
 
Good luck with the guide

Hopefully this will make me a better spy :D
 
To be honest, no guide will show you how to play spy. Just giving you the know how to do so. The best way to learn is just to keep trying to play it, and one day it will just click.

Guides are still helpful though, I will add a ton of stuff if you need any.
 
Just a word of advice, you may want to check your spelling, and in some cases your grammar. Some of the words are mispelled and the grammar is incorrect. Not that this is a huge problem but i find that sometimes i am distracted from the main points of many guides due to bad grammar and spelling simply because it is distracting and grabs my attention away from the topic at hand. Good luck with the guide, it looks great so far!
 
Another helpful hint

As a spy you normally get chased by pyros and other spy checking noobs, the idea is to use your brain to dodge them. For example, if you are on 2fort and you are getting chased along the top of the map cloak running forward and quickly double back off the edge into the water and run back to your base through the sewers... Pyros are idiots, they only ever run forward and fire striaght... so another way to avoid them is using height. You can hide on the side of walls etc where they can't reach unless they actually aim for the spot with the flame thrower :3
 
To be honest, no guide will show you how to play spy. Just giving you the know how to do so. The best way to learn is just to keep trying to play it, and one day it will just click.

Right, no one can tell you exactly how to play spy. Guides can add a number of helpful tactics or strategies to your list. It's up to you to know where and how to use those strategies. Playing as a spy is entirely situational, you have to learn to adapt to and predict how enemies will act. Once you have a good library of moves or tactics to pull from, you'll be able to use those to turn a situation in your favor.
 
Last edited:
Spy guides are hard to write, because there's no practical way to practice other than in game. You can give tips and suggested things to try, but other than repeated use, there's no way to get good at it.

My suggestion is, assuming Zaw is still doing spy training, just do that. It helps quite a bit.
 
I all know this, but the MAIN purpose of the guide is just to give players new to the class an insight about how it works and how to adapt to certain kind of situations. And yes I clearly understand that advanced spies don't need a guide but look like I said it helps people who aren't familiarized to the class.

PS; The guide isn't finish, and I KNOW about the grammar, I'm sorry about it, doing my best but please know that english isn't my first language and the guide is still incorrected.

It would be nice when it's finished that someone helps me correct it, it would be really appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Nice guide. Didn't know much about sapping times. I'll keep those in mind.
 
Disguises are useless, their only real purpose is sentry immunity and to avoid being detected easily at long range. They're also for fooling stupid players, a good player can pick out a spy 80% of the time.

The ambassador/revolver is easily the MOST important weapon for the spy to learn how to use, aside from being your ONLY ranged weapon, it's the only real way for you to kill a skilled engineer who will often try to kill your first. Unless his gun is in imminent danger of being destroyed, NO engi would turn his back to you.

If that engineer is too busy humping his gun by whacking it over and over again, he is NOT a good engi, the sign of a good engi is one who patrols around his gun area, and only falls back to his gun when under attack.

You nailed it with the knife though, it's a magic bullet for taking out enemies who are in range.
 
Looking for ward to the guide/tips...

I have been trying to learn this class the last week and it can be frustrating at times!

The two areas I seem to have the most trouble with are
  1. getting to my 'hunting area' undetected/alive
  2. using the Ambasador; I seem to need to shots minimum wven when 1st shot is to the head


Cut CHemist, I would be interested in your advice here or via PM...


PS - not ALL pyros are idiots... ;)
 
1 Ambassador shot is usually ~100 damage so if you're against snipers,other spies,scouts, you should feel comfortable with sticking around and trying to get that last shot in to finish him/her off. Medic even though they seem weak the bluts is just really hard to counter unless you get the ambush on them when they are healing their team.

Also on disguises one disguise I rarely seen used and works so well is the disguise as the other team's spy. I've been using this one since the beginnings of tf2 where medics could save ubers by switching to the needler. It gives a great reason why you're mingling with the "enemy" team and with the recent buff it is all the more believable.

Ex. Say I disguise as an red spy and I'm blue. The red team would see me as <Name> Disguised as an enemy pyro.
 
To be honest, no guide will show you how to play spy. Just giving you the know how to do so. The best way to learn is just to keep trying to play it, and one day it will just click.

Guides are still helpful though, I will add a ton of stuff if you need any.

Agreed, but here is a helpful hint for those spies that use the Dead Ringer.

I didnt like the DR to be honest, but since the patch I find it alot more useful. One of the big advantages is that the DR now refills with metal, meaning now those metal ammo boxes can now be used like med kits if needed. If you turn on fire, use your DR and if you get turned on fire again while invisible, uncloak and find ammo crates or weapons lying around if there are no med kits and use the DR again. Most pyros think you are dead if you feign death a second time...works for me about 90% of the time.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top