new mouse

kungfujesus

Rookie
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
48
okay so im debating on getting a new mouse. but i still dont understand the higher DPI mouses...the one i want has 4000dpi...how does this help me in murdering faces. would it be better to get 4000dpi mouse compared to a 1600 dpi mouse? if someone know anything about this could you please explain to me.


Thanks!
 
Simply put, DPI is Dots Per Inch. In other words, it's the amount of "dots" that the mouse reads for each inch it moves on your mousepad, which corresponds to how sensitive it is on your screen. A mouse with a max DPI of 4000 will be much more sensitive to your hand movement and will move much farther over a small amount of space on your mousepad. A mouse with a max DPI of 1600 will be much slower.

Personally, I would get the one with a max DPI of 4000, as you're more then likely able to change your DPI setting to your personal preference. So you could try it out at 4000dpi, you could try it at 1600dpi, you could try it at 3200dpi. You could find what fits you best and what you're more comfortable with. You might even find that you could prefer to change your setting on the fly depending on the situation you're in (a specific class in a game, general desktop use, etc).
 
i have the razer lachesis its 4000 dpi and its really comfy and has good traction
 
I use a Logitech G5 and it goes at i believe 1600 dpi and i find it to be enough. I haven't tried any higher than this one tho.
 
Emish the G5 does to 2000

Also, if you aren't used to high dpi it will take a bit to get used to being able to move around so fast and having it react.
 
4000dpi is insanely fast. At that setting, the smallest flick of the mouse sends your cursor zooming across your entire monitor.

Most people, that I know if, game around 1600-2000dpi.
If the mouse you get has on-the-fly dpi switching, you can adjust your dpi anytime, even in game. Makes it nice for things like detailed aiming (sniping) or graphics work.
 
4000dpi is insanely fast. At that setting, the smallest flick of the mouse sends your cursor zooming across your entire monitor.

Most people, that I know if, game around 1600-2000dpi.
If the mouse you get has on-the-fly dpi switching, you can adjust your dpi anytime, even in game. Makes it nice for things like detailed aiming (sniping) or graphics work.


If you turn your DPI up and your sensitivity down, it balances out. Instead of quick movement, you get a normal speed movement that can be much more precise. Just because you have more DPI doesn't mean you can't turn your sensitivity down.
 
I have a Optical Mouse USB :P. I'm too cheap to go for an expensive mouse, and this one works great anyway. The DPI is probably like 800 hehe. It works fine for me, and I'm used to it. I've been using these for several years, and for 9.99 how can you go wrong ;D. It would be nice to have more buttons though.

I can imagine some instances where higher DPI would be nice specifically when gaming and using a weapon with a some type of long range optical scope. Sometimes it's harder to hit people when zoomed in too far, but I imagine games only go so high. I may be wrong though, since I don't know much about high end mice and keyboards.
 
Hit Wal-Mart & see if you can pick up a G5. The one by my house is selling them for $30. Once you learn what yore missing, you'll wonder how you got along w/o one. Its like doing from dial up 56k to 10meg cable.
 
If you turn your DPI up and your sensitivity down, it balances out. Instead of quick movement, you get a normal speed movement that can be much more precise. Just because you have more DPI doesn't mean you can't turn your sensitivity down.

Very true. I have a G9 and I'm very satisfied with it. I like the Razors as well, preferably the Razor Death Adder.
 
4000dpi is insanely fast. At that setting, the smallest flick of the mouse sends your cursor zooming across your entire monitor.

Most people, that I know if, game around 1600-2000dpi.
If the mouse you get has on-the-fly dpi switching, you can adjust your dpi anytime, even in game. Makes it nice for things like detailed aiming (sniping) or graphics work.

I game with my dpi set at 3200 and my sensitivity in TF2 at 9. :P I do however turn down my dpi to 2400 when sniping.
 
So Why cant I just increase my ghetto 10 dollar mouse's sensitivity and get the same effect? Or do i get the same effect? Would it really increase my potential to get the jump on a guy turning the corner?.. And how does it help you snipe? Most of all...Is it worth the money to buy one with such high capabilities such as 4000 or is it just overkill?
 
For most people 4000dpi is overkill. In regards to the first question though, the main difference is that DPI is hardware based, sensitivity is software based. In essence, increasing the sensitivity would create the same effect as a high DPI mouse. The main thing that you should look at for is polling rate on a mouse. That is what really effects how smoothly a mouse moves and how much lag there would be. For average users of computers, and light gamers, most of this won't matter. But if you consider yourself a anything more than that, it's generally a good idea to get a mouse made for gaming. It will have a much better polling rate on it than a generic $10 mouse, and it can make a difference in your gaming. You'll also likely have an option to do on-the-fly DPI changes, which many people like (it lets you avoid going to software to change sensitivity or even out of game to set the dpi via a program you installed on the computer to adjust the dpi of the mouse).
 

Latest posts

Back
Top