Lightening struck the house....

Phlame

Rookie
Joined
Jun 7, 2009
Messages
63
Lightening struck our house on July 4th! It fried my parents rig and my labtop. I'll post pics once i get a home rig running, at work atm.
Lightening struck a 40 ft tree in our front yard (split the tree), jumped to the gutter(white painted gutter now black), entered the house and through one breaker and took anything connected to that breaker minus a few small electronics (wtf) and left out by jumping to the gutter drain which empties into the ground (blew out a few bricks and blackenned gutter).

Homeowners took my quote and is evaluating, i will hear if it goes through later today.

Anyways, Ill repair my parents rig with new mobo and psu.

But! homeowners is buying me a new rig! (hopefully will give me cash for my lap top).

Watcha think?

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM

COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

Samsung Dvd/Blu-ray drives x2

Gotta keep the total at approx 1250-1350 since thats what my lap top was appraised for.
 
Last edited:
Damn dude this stinks :(

But the rig looks nice, core i7's are amazing, and ddr3 ram is pro.

Good luck!
 
And people think I'm nuts when I unplug my rig during an electrical storm. Glad to hear that insurance is coming through for you though.
 
Yea, everything was on surge protectors too, but with a direct hit, they didnt protect the rigs... TV's and other things were fine in the rest of the house though!

And the card shouldn't run any hotter than my NVIDIA 8800 GT which idles at 60 and gets up to 70's when I OC it even with the fan @ 95%. Plus I have a lot better case in mind which has the equivilant of a hurricane fan to bring in cold air.
 
sorry about that lightning strike, but glad that you can get a new rig!!!
that setup is going to kick butt! try not to have to much fun with it haha :P
 
Yea, everything was on surge protectors too, but with a direct hit, they didnt protect the rigs... TV's and other things were fine in the rest of the house though!

And the card shouldn't run any hotter than my NVIDIA 8800 GT which idles at 60 and gets up to 70's when I OC it even with the fan @ 95%. Plus I have a lot better case in mind which has the equivilant of a hurricane fan to bring in cold air.

Yup, surge protectors won't protect against a direct lightning strike, it's just too much power. I run a 4890 in an Antec 900, and the temps are fine, the 900 moves a ton of air, great for keeping your components cool.
 
Yup, surge protectors won't protect against a direct lightning strike, it's just too much power. I run a 4890 in an Antec 900, and the temps are fine, the 900 moves a ton of air, great for keeping your components cool.

So it's a good case? Because I bought that case for my computer, just waiting on the parts to arrive.
 
And people think I'm nuts when I unplug my rig during an electrical storm. Glad to hear that insurance is coming through for you though.

I always do this, plus I live in kansas so we have a lot of them, rather not take the chance.

Have fun with that I7, make sure to OC it :)
 
The rig is awesome, but just a warning: I'm pretty sure ATI cards overheat a lot.

Be completely sure next time. Video cards can take upwards of 100 degrees celsius (although you wouldn't want it to run that hot, it can without damaging itself)
With my fan speed at only 40%, my 4890 only gets to about 40 C under normal load, pushing 50 if I'm playing something like Crysis.
 
Nice new rig

<3 i7 and DDR3 as well as the 4870 (XFX for me)

I wish, well not really, but insurance ftw minus loosing some things and documents n such.

Sidenote: I have my fan 30 - 35% @ 43c idling, but it gets only like 85 max here on the coast in Oregon in the summber
 
Alright, I guess the people who wrote those reviews on Newegg lied... Whatever. It's a great rig. Lucky you.

Uhg, I should have let my computer get hit by lightning when I lived in Minnesota. :facewall:
 
All The Surge Protectors I got are Heavy-Duty and if something connected to them breaks, the company will replace it or give compensation for up to 500,000.
 
Back
Top