Vista help

Striker99

Rookie
Joined
Jun 4, 2009
Messages
76
When Vista first came out a copy was bought for me but I quickly went back to XP. A few days ago I reinstalled Vista thinking things would be better with the service packs. I like Vista. Looks nice. However, every time I play CoD4, the game is very choppy. I'm ready to go back to XP unless someone has some ideas for me.

I own a Dell pc
P4 2.6 GHz
2560 MB Ram

Thank you for any advice.
 
What is hurting you with Vista is your running a single core. Having the OS and the game together is what the problem is. You need to upgrade your hardware for vista. Vista is great now that the hardware capable of having it as smooth as XP is available.
 
Vista eats a lot of RAM too. I had to get 4GB to keep it from accessing the page file and giving me choppy performance in a lot of games.
 
I'm going to have to agree with everyone above. Your system just isn't up to par to run the new operating system. I'd recommend having at least a dual core processor before upgrading to Vista or even windows 7.
 
I would also reccommend not staying with vista. It will suck down performance on a great system, and a older system like yours has no chance of performing well with it.

I believe that your rig should do fine with 7, it would be a little slower than with xp, but not by too much. If you want to try out 7, the RC is out and will remain active till next year, which would give you plenty of time to decide.

If you can't get ahold of 7 or it still doesn't run as smoothly as you want, definantly go back to xp, vista is not a good gaming operating system.
 
It's not that Vista isn't a good operating system, it's that with new operating systems come higher requirements. It's like having a computer designed to run windows 95 and then installing XP on it. Your system is going to come to a crawl, but that doesn't mean XP is horrible, it just means your computer can't handle the new requirements for a more powerful OS.
 
go back to XP, wait for windows 7 to come out, or get a good enough computer to actually run vista.

-Blue
 
I think people say vista sucks is that they don't have a computer able to run it. This gives it alot of bad rap. A few days ago, someone was blaming there mic quality on vista.... and i said Yea blame vista. But yea go back to xp if you cant run vista.
 
Only run XP with a single core. Vista + Single core = horrible. IDK what Ghz it is it will kill your computer.
 
if you want to run any modern operating system you really should have a duel core or better that's 64bit and vista and seven do hit the ram hard compared to most other operating systems so 2gb is the lowest you can get away with for a good experience for general use. I would recommend stay with xp or get seven with 2 or more gigs of ram and 2 or more cores. preferable 4gb ram.

ram is always cheap and for a cheap proc with more cores look for somehting like a athlone 5000+ x2 black for the very lowest price or a phenome if you you can afford to get something that performs good.
 
I've already decided to go back to XP. Unfortunately my XP disc is not bootable so I will find a friend with a bootbale disc. I do thank everyone for their opinions.

Some of you feel that Windows 7 will run smoothly on this pc. Is that correct?
 
I've already decided to go back to XP. Unfortunately my XP disc is not bootable so I will find a friend with a bootbale disc. I do thank everyone for their opinions.

Some of you feel that Windows 7 will run smoothly on this pc. Is that correct?

i doubt it will run smoothly, but it will run much better than vista will. You need a cpu upgrade.

-Blue
 
Back
Top