Have video cards evolved enough yet to upgrade?

I-Die-Often

Forum Fanatic
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
955
I have been planning on waiting for the ne t generation of cards from ati (smaller die... Less power) like what should follow the 4770... My question is simple... I currently run a Gigabyte 3870 with 512mb and have no real complaints... With he prices of the 4870 coming down am I still "not crazy" in waiting for the next gen? Is it really worth upgrading now since tf2 is still my primary game?
 
A 3870 is still a perfectly fine card. I'm still on an 8800GT and am waiting for nvidias next generation to upgrade.
 
i think, if you are looking for something to upgrade. Wait for the prices to come down, and then go for it. Currently where your sitting, it isnt worth it, but once the prices come down, it will almost be a steal.
 
what are the rest of the specs of your computer? maybe theres something else that might be a more worthwhile upgrade than a videocard.
 
Asus P5B-E
6GB 800 DDR2 4-4-4-12 (currently running 4GB in XP 32-bit)
C2D E6600

The system is rock solid and lags no where... I am waiting a mother year or so before build a whole new box...
 
If you're not lagging you don't really need to fix it. Just when the newer games come out along with the new gen of cards is when you'd want to upgrade.
 
If you're planning to do a whole rebuild in a year should probably just wait until then and apply all your money at once.
 
Given what you have said, I don't see any reason for you to upgrade. I'd wait until the next generation of cards (smaller die, etc, etc) come down to the $150-200 price range. I know it seems like a long time, but in a year, the gtx 380 or ati 5890 (or whatever they will call it) will be down below $200, and that will probably be a good time for you to upgrade.

I myself have a 9600GT, and am planning to upgrade in about a year. I'm in the same boat as you, I only really play tf2, and it runs flawlessly.

If you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket, maybe pick up a second monitor, a new case, or something else that you will be able to use with your future rig.
 
Since your primary game is TF2 ... I really see no reason to upgrade.
Even if you do play some other games, but not hardcore ... and it lags a bit ... I think you would still be fine.

There's so much money to be spent elsewhere ;)
 
Depends on your perspective, I'm running on the Nvidia 8800GT, and I know someone running on two GTX 260's, which is about 5-6 times more power. But one might think its not worth the money, If your playing games like DODS, TF2, CSS, and Insurgency, and 8800GT, or a different card in your case will do you fine!
 
Back
Top