Very Slow

Joined
Aug 10, 2008
Messages
553
OS Name Microsoft? Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name PARKER-PC
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Studio 540
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz, 2800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.0.9, 12/25/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18104"
User Name Parker-PC\Parker
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.22 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.23 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.24 GB
Page File Space 2.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

So my computer is maybe 6 months old. I know that I need more ram. But I don't think thats the issue. My internet is very slow all the suddent, all the time. When I click on a link it says in the bottom left that its transferring data. Then it loads half the page, then it may stop. Or hit refresh and it loads faster. It's getting really annoying.

I have done the following:
Uninstalled Avast and reinstalled and performed scan:No issues
Uninstalled Mozilla: No isses
Unplugged modem and restart by itself(didn't fix it)
Unplugged modem and restarted at same time(didnt fix it)

Only becuase I don't know much about computers I am thinking I should find a REAL free version of a registrey fixer thingy. Maybe thats it?

Any ideas? My head hurts!!!:chair:
 
Last edited:
Mozilla can't be slowing you down, It's so much faster than IE, Anyway...

I'm not entirely sure of the issue, but you should try these...

On Download.Com(A trusted site for popular downloads, it's owned by CNet) search for Advanced System Care Free, Download it and install.

What it does:
It helps maintain your windows by Spyware removal, Registry fix, Privacy sweep, Junk File Cleanup, System optimization, Disk Cleaner, etc. Most of the features of this program, including everything I just said is free, there is a few utilities to help speed up internet speed, such as Internet Booster, but the others are part of the "Pro" Edition. It's really good for cleaning your PC, but I don't suggest you use the registry cleaner, but I know a better one that's a lot better and 100% free, but it is only for your registry.

It's called Tweaknow RegCleaner, which can also be found on download.com. It has a basic scan, for things that can be cleaned with 100% safety. And Expert for things that only someone who knows what they are doing should use.

Those should have a positive effect on your internet, I can't say it'll be very noticeable though. Your RAM is fine for net browsing. If you think it is your internet and nothing else, try speedtest.net. See how fast you download and your ping. My ISP once kept telling me the internet going off and on was my problem.... then after 6 calls the figured out it was them ,I forgot what was causing it, but they aren't always perfect >_>

That's all I think of that could possibly affect your speed. If the Browser isn't the issue(And Firefox is awesome so I highly doubt it is), it could be your PC doing a bunch all at once and taking a while to display the pages, I'm not sure, but on a dual core that couldn't be the issue.

Anyways, those are all my ideas, you could try to update your BIOS, but if it's 6 Months old I doubt there's an update, could always try xD One came out for the 2 months ago...

Edit: Also on a 32Bit PC(Which is what you have), You can only utilize up to 3GB's of RAM. FYI.

.... Well that's what I read anyway.
 
Last edited:
Open up a command prompt: Start > Run > Type "cmd" (sans quotes) > It should open up a black command prompt. Now in the command prompt type "ipconfig" (sans quotes). What you're looking for is your default gateway. Once you see it, type "ping -t (your default gateway ip)" What you're looking for is if any of the packets are failing. If you keep getting request timed out, then it's a problem with either your computer or your modem. You should get a response from your default gateway everytime without many failures. One or two are probably acceptable, but anything more than that and you have a problem.

Try using a different web browser. Try to use Internet Explorer and see if it is also slow.

Also if that doesn't fix your problem, refer to this post "http://www.edgegamers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63455" and follow the steps. You may be infected with malware or something of the sort which will also cause your computer to slow down. Your registry isn't going to be the problem. Unless you've gone in there and changed settings, you're fine.
 
Easiest way to determine if its your connection that's slow or whether or not you have some malware/spyware eating up resources, try testing your connection with another pc or laptop. Just head to www.speedtest.net and run a bandwidth test.

Also, you may want to check background processes that are running wild because you're already using up about 60% of your physical memory. You can modify what programs you want to start when the system starts. Disabling startup programs like Adobe, Winamp and whatever that you don't need right away will help too.
 
Problem is being resolved via remote desktop. The router was the cause of the problem.

Problem was resolved as of 9 10:55 AM PDT on 7/10/0.
Problem was the Linksys WRT54G. Reset to default settings and upgraded to DD-WRT firmware. Issue was resolved after the firmware upgrade.

If problem persists further, recommended action will be replacement of router.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top