CSS low FPS on 9800 GT

LTCHIPS

Rookie
Joined
Jun 8, 2009
Messages
71
Hey all, after I got my new 9800GT for my PC, I installed it, then got new drivers for it, and then I started playing CSS on the Dust 2 server. I immediately noticed that there wasn't a single change in FPS, but other games that I own like Crysis, have a significant improvement in FPS.

I run CSS with all the settings on highest, resolution at 1280x1024, no AA, and Texture filtering at Trillnear. My FPS is still averaging during play at 60-40 FPS. Help would be much appriciated.

I don't overclock, due to the fact that I don't have the appropriate cooling stuff to do so. I also don't because I don't want to have a nice video card go dead.
 
Have you tried setting your rates go into console and type these in
rate 25000
cl_cmdrate 101
cl_updaterate 101
 
Yes, that is my monitor's max resolution. I don't need a big monitor to enjoy games, and at the time, i was low on cash.

I'll try what everyone has suggested so far...
 
Can't screens restrict how good FPS will be?
Either way, does CSS still run?
If it does then you don't have a problem...
You just have a naff card
 
CSS still runs, but I'd like to have a more consistent frame rate, rather one that goes from 60 to 32 often. It gets kind of annoying, and sometimes the frame rate even drops down really low at big firefights.
 
Because source based games run on your CPU, to see an increase upgrade your CPU. Games like crysis run more on your GPU. The same thing is with me, I got a 3870 OC and still get the same FPS on source based games but games like COD4 fly.


What processor do you have? and is Vsync on?
 
The source engine is a CPU based engine. It is not very limited in GPU Power, depending on what you upgraded from it is normal. If you want more FPS, either OC the proccesor or get a new one.

Also, if you have Vsync on in the Nvidia control panel or in-game, turn that off.
 
Do you have Vsync turned on because with that your fps won't go above the refresh rate regardless of what graphical power you have. It's to prevent it from hopping up to 600 fps, and creating horizontal tearing because the screen can't keep up with the framerate. As long as it stays above 30 FPS though it should be fine since the human eye can't tell the difference in image when framerates go above 30 FPS. Live action movies for instance are filmed at 25FPS standard. Cartoons are lower I believe.

Your frames should probably be higher, however, and there may be something else wrong if Vsynch isn't on. The source engine was initially designed to run on older less powerful systems so classic gamers of the original half-life wouldn't be left out in the cold upon it's release, and it's still that way, they have just introduced some more advanced effects which are optional.
 
I don't have Vsync on in CSS or Nvidia driver settings, but I might want to double check somethings. My processor is the only part that I've had in my PC ever since I've gotten it. I don't like the prices of the good processors, and I think that I don't really need a better processor at the moment. Well, at least not until games are beyond it, and require more processing speed.

I've tried the console commands, and those didn't really make anything any better. I'm guessing that a lot of you are right, I might have to consider a processor upgrade soon. But not right now...

My processor is a Intel Pentium D dual core at 3.0ghz. Does good playing games, and XP runs like a charm.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top