Building a computer... your thoughts

DeMan06

Poster
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
163
Alright, so I've decided I've had my old Athlon X2 processor long enough (it was basically one of the 1st dual cores out). After playing TF2 the other day and, for the first time actually watching my FPS and noticing it hovering around 30 (OMG) I decided it's definitely time for an upgrade. I considered just getting a new video card... but decided it's really time for a complete new computer.

Here's what I'm looking at so far: (NEWEGG)

CASE

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

POWER

Antec EA750 750W ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

COMBO (Power + Case) deal: $197.48

BOARD

ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CPU

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX - Retail

COMBO (Board + CPU) DEAL: $304.05

RAM

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBPK - Retail

Price: $64.99

Vido Card

SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video ... - Retail

Price: $379.99



TOTAL: $982.45 + Shipping.

I was trying to stick to about $1000 so this seems to work pretty well so far.

I've left out a harddrive as I already have 4 in my current rig I'm going to pull out, at least 1 of which is SATAII. I'll also pull out my DVD burner from my old rig, so no need for that right now. I think I'm also going to stick with the stock fan/heatsink as I don't intend to overclock right away, so not in a hurry to get a better one.

Any thoughts as to where I can make improvements are appreciated. Also I'm def going to stick with AMD as a similar intel box I specd out was nearly $400 more expensive, not worth it IMO.
 
Last edited:
personaly i go intel/nvidia but other then that...its a good build notin fancy and it will do he job great
 
well i like it bud, my bro has the same case and power supply, loves it.... Great airflow and stays pretty cool. im with bane on the nvidia card, but other than that looks like a go for u bro.
 
I see nothing wrong with it. Looks like an awesome build for under a 1000$
 
No complaints here. You'll be flying with that, hard time getting 30 fps with that.
 
Biostar, cmon ...

The board he has is fine. Also the board he chose has a combo with that CPU
 
personaly i go intel/nvidia but other then that...its a good build notin fancy and it will do he job great

Problem with intel is it's about $400 more for a comparable MB and processor and 6GB ram setup. doesn't seem worth it as I can't afford the increase in cash, so would have to compromise something (and about the only thing left would be video, which I'm not compromising :D )

I did consider nvidia for graphics, but the MB only supports crossfire and not SLI. In face I couldn't find any AMD MBS that support DDR3 and SLI. I must admit that I did like the fact that there are several intel boards that support DDR3, Crossfire and SLI... but it's not worth the xtra cash at this point. I'm find with my dual GPU graphics from ATI :D

Tex_Cowboy said:
well i like it bud, my bro has the same case and power supply, loves it.... Great airflow and stays pretty cool. im with bane on the nvidia card, but other than that looks like a go for u bro.

I've def read good things about both case and power supply. Glad to hear it wasn't just propaganda :D Nvidia just doesn't seem like a good video card if Im' looking at possible future upgrads concerning crossfire/sli. since my MB doesn't support SLI I'd be forced to upgrade cards rather than just adding a second one.


Ryken said:
only thing worth mentioning is this combo deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.209473

It's the 940, and $185 after MIR. Other than that, looks good.

While the processor is only a couple notches lower and might be worth considering, the MB is missing several features I want. Most notably DDR3 support and support for Crossfire; it only has 1 PCIE 16x slot. The asus board has 2 16x slots and 2 8x slots. I gotta keep in mind future upgradability.

konig1 said:
You should choose ddr3 triple channel 1333 mhz memory , 3gb -70$

I haven't seen any AMD boards that support DDR 3 triple channel, only dual channel. If you know of any I'd certainly like to know; I thought the dual channel was an AMD limitation but if there's a tripple channel board out there I'd be open to it.


Thanks to all that have replied. Any further comments/suggestions would be appreciated before I click the buy button on Newegg.

Also, anyone know any promo codes? wouldn't hurt to knock some bucks off the price if possible.
 
Back
Top