Setting up RAID 0 with 2 diff HD's

Phlame

Rookie
Joined
Jun 7, 2009
Messages
63
I am in the process of a build and and didnt originally intend to, but now am interested in setting up a raid 0 array.

My question is what kind of disadvantage is there to using two different brands of HD. Everything I read recommends to use identical HD down to the brand, size, etc....

Reason I ask is out of my old rig that was jolted by lightning my Samsung HD250HJ 250 Gig sata harddrive survived, but I wasn't expecting it to so I ordered a Western Digital 250 gig.

I can't afford to buy another harddrive, or two, or otherwise I would go with the RAID 5 in order to get a little security with everything.

If its a real bad idea, ill just keep everything on individual sata and use the samsung as storage and keep the wd as the os drive since it is a 16 mb buffer vs an 8 mb buffer on the samsung.
 
You should be fine using two different drives. The RAID will only be as fast as your slowest drive though. So if you had a 250Gb 10k drive and a 250Gb 7.5k Drive, your raid would only operate at 7.5k.

Simple answer, yes you should be fine.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top