Looking to buy a new graphics card

Laugh

Famous
Joined
Jun 11, 2009
Messages
527
I want to buy a new graphics card for my computer. I prefer ATI and am looking to buy on newegg.com

I'm just going to be the person to buy a bad one or something, so could someone recommend me one? Thanks.

Current:
Card name: Radeon X1550 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x7147)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Display Memory: 512.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 960 (32 bit) (60Hz)



As you can see it's not too great.
 
Last edited:
Can we get more specs of your computer, such as CPU, PSU, RAM, Motherboard.
 
+1 on the rest of your PC specs...

We also might need some information on why you're wanting to upgrade your graphics card...
Specific reasons? Would it be gaming, video editing, ... etc etc
 
I'm not too worried about that, but sure.

CPU: AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual
2.20 GHz
2 gb of memory

I want to upgrade just for a better gaming feel. I average about 30-45 fps and I'd like to see that number increase. Especially if I'm going to be playing Prototype.
 
Well I don't want to spend $60.00 for a very minor upgrade. I'm thinking about getting en extra 30 fps, rather than 10.

Thanks everyone for helping in advanced.
 
I recommend waiting until September. That is when ATi's next generation of cards will be out, meaning you can either get one of those for more power, or one of the old generations for much cheaper.

If it can't wait, then I recommend the 4770 if you can find one. Newegg says their ETA for the next shipment of 4770's is on the 20th of July and it will be the XFX model.
 
Seconding the 4850 motion. I have a Palit 4850 in a system running an Intel E5200 and for my needs it is more than enough.
Running TF2 at 1680x1050 I have absolutely every video setting maxed and run 60fps without variation. It'd run even higher if I turned off vertical sync, but I don't feel the need.
At the prices they go for I don't think you'll find a better video card.
 
I third the HD 4850. It's a very nice card. I'm getting it for my new PC build and running it at 1440x900. For it's price it's an extremely nice card. Check newegg.com
 
I disagree with all the people saying the 4850. The 4770 provides the same performance for the same price while using less power and running cooler. True, it is much harder to get one, but if you check newegg everyday, it's not too bad. And in August it will become much easier, as TSMC has promised that 40nm yields will have increased by then.
 
This may be a newb question...but.

XFX HD-483X-YDFC Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail for $100.00

XFX HD-465X-ZDF2 Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail for $60.00

It is $40.00 cheaper.....Is there something specific I should be looking at to determine the power of it?
 
You want to look at the bandwidth of the memory, core frequency, number of shaders, shader frequency, memory frequency, and the amount of memory. The higher the better in all of these, although 512mb of RAM will be plenty of memory unless you're running at 1920x1200 or higher.

The 4830 is vastly superior to the 4650. But if you're going to spend $100, go for the 4770 or the 4850.
 
Last edited:
not really thats just the amount of memory it'll utilize, but i looked at some benchmarks and in crisis the 4830 outperformed the 8800 both OC'ed and not. So i'm sure it would do fine in Prototype
 

Latest posts

Back
Top