Headphones, Audiocards and YOU!
Headphone and Sound Card Guide!
Hey eGO, I made this guide because I assume many of you listen to music, play games and watch movies on your computer. I created this guide because many people are simply unaware of how much better everything can sound with a few simple upgrades. Hopefully this guide will help simplify and justify your next upgrade!
Headphones Pros and Cons
Headphones Pros!
#1 Hearing Footsteps! Most headphones and speakers you buy do not allow you to pinpoint with accuracy where players are. Good headphones you can tell not only the direction but how far away they are.
#2 Cost! Everyone loves money and it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get a good set of cans. 5.1 Speakers are great BUT they cost quite a bit to get a good enough system to match a decent pair of headphones.
#3 Stop Annoying Your Neighbors! If you are going to college or have parents sleeping in the next room, headphones are now your best friend for not waking them up.
#4 Space! A good set of speakers are bulky and somewhat annoying, you also need to position them correctly to make the best use of them. HPs are ALWAYS in the right location.
Headphones Cons
#1 Heat and Comfort: Depending on your head size and headphone choice the headphones could be a feathery pillow resting on your head or a vice-like torture device. The headphones listed below are pretty comfortable but YMMT!
Headphone Recommendations
I'll give general recommendations but for some serious reviews check out Head-FI. They know their stuff and you can spend hours and days reading up on what you want (say goodbye to your wallet).
JVC Headphones
HARX700 - $33!
Great comfortable, crystal clear headphones for the price. If you want to save your money and want a respectable closed (sound doesn't leak out) headphone then these are your choice.
Audio Technica Headphones
The all around audio-technica headphones sets recommended by many many people. I have personally owned the AD500s and AD700s. These are more expensive than JVC's but you get what you pay for. ATs are known for their clarity but the bass is often lacking, if you need a lot of bass look elsewhere.
A500: $111 Budget (relatively) headphones for gaming. It's great for the value, it doesn't have the clarity of the AD900s but for the money people love them.
AD700: $80 Ridiculously huge soundstage (depth and location through two speakers) for the price. You can hear everyone and everything through these cans. Incredibly comfortable and don't warm up your ears. The downsides are the HPs are a bit ugly and the "Open" design (sound leaks through the sides).
Hands down a great recommendation if you can spend a bit more money.
AD900: $211 dollars! If you can afford these, one of best ranked all-around gaming headphones, great for music too. Closed design, great soundstage.
(More Headphones to come, I'm going numb from searching)
Headsets and 5.1 Headphones
I thought I would get this out of the way first. Both of these options are pretty bad, I haven't met anyone knowledgable who would recommend any of these products ESPECIALLY the 5.1 headphones. 5.1 headphones are considered gimicky by headphone enthusiasts and I myself am not a big fan of them. They both use inferior drivers and the headsets are notorious for falling apart. The expensive headsets may sound good but there are FAR better options for your $$$$$$$$$$$$.
What about my mic?
The best option is the clip on mic from Zalman or a desk mic, they are both good options and cost about 10 dollars. No need to get anything fancy just something that clearly picks up your voice.
Audio Cards Recommendations
Your audio card just as important as your headphones. Drinking out of a marble fountain won't matter if the water comes from your toilet. The answer to the question you are thinking of: YES! Your onboard soundcard is pretty bad and needs an upgrade.
Desktop Computer Sound Cards:
Asus Xonar DX/D1 7.1 $65 - Impressive sound, great for gaming (improves FPS) and less noise. Cheap and effective.
More to Come!
Further Reading:
Kool Bubba Gaming Recommendations A really well respected head-fier who knows gaming and headphones. He wrote a couple articles which should help you out, especially the one at the bottom.
Head-Fi.org: If you wish to accept this challenge and run the gauntlet of "gaming + headphone" threads you will be a master of audio gaming. This is a great read especially if you have time and wish to truly understand what you are purchasing
To get you started: [1] [2] [3]
Hardforum Audio: Nice simple forum for audio (speaker and headphones). Great for gaming focused discussions.
Conclusion
I've hoped you enjoyed my guide! I can answer questions and I will be listening for your comments/suggestions and I'll update this page as I go.
Headphone and Sound Card Guide!
Hey eGO, I made this guide because I assume many of you listen to music, play games and watch movies on your computer. I created this guide because many people are simply unaware of how much better everything can sound with a few simple upgrades. Hopefully this guide will help simplify and justify your next upgrade!
Headphones Pros and Cons
Headphones Pros!
#1 Hearing Footsteps! Most headphones and speakers you buy do not allow you to pinpoint with accuracy where players are. Good headphones you can tell not only the direction but how far away they are.
#2 Cost! Everyone loves money and it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get a good set of cans. 5.1 Speakers are great BUT they cost quite a bit to get a good enough system to match a decent pair of headphones.
#3 Stop Annoying Your Neighbors! If you are going to college or have parents sleeping in the next room, headphones are now your best friend for not waking them up.
#4 Space! A good set of speakers are bulky and somewhat annoying, you also need to position them correctly to make the best use of them. HPs are ALWAYS in the right location.
Headphones Cons
#1 Heat and Comfort: Depending on your head size and headphone choice the headphones could be a feathery pillow resting on your head or a vice-like torture device. The headphones listed below are pretty comfortable but YMMT!
Headphone Recommendations
I'll give general recommendations but for some serious reviews check out Head-FI. They know their stuff and you can spend hours and days reading up on what you want (say goodbye to your wallet).
JVC Headphones
HARX700 - $33!
Great comfortable, crystal clear headphones for the price. If you want to save your money and want a respectable closed (sound doesn't leak out) headphone then these are your choice.
Audio Technica Headphones
The all around audio-technica headphones sets recommended by many many people. I have personally owned the AD500s and AD700s. These are more expensive than JVC's but you get what you pay for. ATs are known for their clarity but the bass is often lacking, if you need a lot of bass look elsewhere.
A500: $111 Budget (relatively) headphones for gaming. It's great for the value, it doesn't have the clarity of the AD900s but for the money people love them.
AD700: $80 Ridiculously huge soundstage (depth and location through two speakers) for the price. You can hear everyone and everything through these cans. Incredibly comfortable and don't warm up your ears. The downsides are the HPs are a bit ugly and the "Open" design (sound leaks through the sides).
Hands down a great recommendation if you can spend a bit more money.
AD900: $211 dollars! If you can afford these, one of best ranked all-around gaming headphones, great for music too. Closed design, great soundstage.
(More Headphones to come, I'm going numb from searching)
Headsets and 5.1 Headphones
I thought I would get this out of the way first. Both of these options are pretty bad, I haven't met anyone knowledgable who would recommend any of these products ESPECIALLY the 5.1 headphones. 5.1 headphones are considered gimicky by headphone enthusiasts and I myself am not a big fan of them. They both use inferior drivers and the headsets are notorious for falling apart. The expensive headsets may sound good but there are FAR better options for your $$$$$$$$$$$$.
What about my mic?
The best option is the clip on mic from Zalman or a desk mic, they are both good options and cost about 10 dollars. No need to get anything fancy just something that clearly picks up your voice.
Audio Cards Recommendations
Your audio card just as important as your headphones. Drinking out of a marble fountain won't matter if the water comes from your toilet. The answer to the question you are thinking of: YES! Your onboard soundcard is pretty bad and needs an upgrade.
Desktop Computer Sound Cards:
Asus Xonar DX/D1 7.1 $65 - Impressive sound, great for gaming (improves FPS) and less noise. Cheap and effective.
More to Come!
Further Reading:
Kool Bubba Gaming Recommendations A really well respected head-fier who knows gaming and headphones. He wrote a couple articles which should help you out, especially the one at the bottom.
Head-Fi.org: If you wish to accept this challenge and run the gauntlet of "gaming + headphone" threads you will be a master of audio gaming. This is a great read especially if you have time and wish to truly understand what you are purchasing
To get you started: [1] [2] [3]
Hardforum Audio: Nice simple forum for audio (speaker and headphones). Great for gaming focused discussions.
Conclusion
I've hoped you enjoyed my guide! I can answer questions and I will be listening for your comments/suggestions and I'll update this page as I go.
Last edited:











