What kind of home theater setup should i get for around $500?

Last edited:
So i run the HDMI from my PS3 to the TV and then the regular cables from my 360, just a coax from the speaker to the TV I will be able to use both of them?
 
It depend on what your TV has... mine has a digital optical (TOSlink) output so I have:

HDMI from my cable box to TV
HMDI from my PS3 to TV
Component from my Wii to TV
RCA from my N64 to TV

Digital optical from the TV to the controller of the Z5500...

and VIOLA!!! I have surround for everything... :) Check your TV... if it has a digital audio OUTPUT, you are good to go... for reference my tv is a Samsung 850 series LCD...
 
Amazon is offering Monster Cable THX-Certified Fiber Optic Digital Interconnect Cable (4 Feet) $16.25, Fiber Optical Toslink Digital Audio Optic Interface 6 Foot Cable $0.01 and the Z5500 $267.52 and shipping for $46.00 (3-5 day) for total of $329.78. That was for amazon and just for the speakers themselves on Newegg.com it's $334.41 for 3 day. Do i really need those cables to be able to use the system? Thanks Guys!
 
can you swing $650? If so, I highly recommend the Onkyo tx 606 and the Onkyo SKS-HT540. I have both and they make my old Logitech Z680's (basically the first version of the 5500's) sound like a pair of dell throw-ins.

Onkyo TX 606 and [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-SKS-HT540-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B000GU78Z4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247600473&sr=8-1"]Onkyo SKS-HT540[/ame]

The receiver is very nice. Great for movies, music, and games. It has four hdmi inputs, and one output for your TV. This will get you started, and you can upgrade the speakers down the line if you like, without having to restart the whole project. The expandability alone of a separate receiver makes it worth the money, but the sound difference between this setup and a htib from a B&M will blow you away.

I'd say give it a listen before you drop $500 on a HTIB.
 
They look really nice but wife has to input her opinion into the subject, probably have to stick with the 300-500 range so she is happy with the price
 

Latest posts

Back
Top