monitor

reflex99

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
4,044
I have about $130 and i really need to get off this 15" monitor sooooo...

I challenge the people of edge gamers to find the best monitor for <$130!

requirements:
-has DVI or HDMI not neciscarilly both but at least 1

-is NOT on newegg.com (tigerdirect ok) because newegg charges tax to CA

-newegg is acceptable IF there is free shipping

-the higher the resolution the better (res>screen size, ie. 19"@ 1680x1050 is better than 20" @ 1440x900)

-needs to be either 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio (NO 4:3)

-thats about it

-exceptions can be made

one im looking at
 
Last edited:
Hmmm I might pose a different challenge!

1) Buy used! My monitor used to cost around 600 new but I got it for 250ish because it was used for a year. If you can go check it out that would be perfect (backlight dimming, scratches, etc). That is if you are willing to buy used if not then ....

2) Get an extra $70. I know it's not easy for everyone scrounge up $70 but your monitor is the most important part of the computer. I find $200 is the sweet spot which lets you buy a name brand monitor. This is important because although your Acer may come from the factory as the Spectre, they sell the lower quality displays to the no-namers.

$200 will get you a 22'' at least and if you are incredibly lucky will net you a 24'' monitor when it comes on sale. I hope your graphics card can handle it otherwise I would just stick with the 22 =)
 
then what about this one

of course it will take me like 3 wks. to get the $

but this acer gets good reviews
 
Last edited:
I bought my dad an acer similar to that model and I would not recommend it. The colours are off, the power button is busted and overall not great. I would go for that viewsonic, it will make you so much happier long run. You've waited this long with a 15'' what's another 3 weeks?

I wouldn't trust reviews off newegg, you have no idea what kind of experience they have with monitors or any computers in general (including me :P).

If you really have time check out displays at Hardforums, they know what they are talking about and they have some great reviews in there as well.
 
Couple of things to remember about buying a monitor.

Monitor Stats
1. Viewing Angle - higher is better
2. Pixel Pitch - lower is better
3. Display Colors - higher is better
4. Brightness - higher is better, generally don't need more than 400
5. Contrast Ratio - higher is better, but after about 3000:1 it doesn't really matter, there are different ways to measure contrast which end up making 10,000:1 basically equivalent.
6. Response Time - lower is generally better, 2ms is great for fast movement (read: gaming) however, some manufacturers artificially lower response time which can degrade picture quality.

If you're ok with Newegg, I've generally found nothing on Tigerdirect to be less expensive. As long as you're not in a hurry, newegg's e-mail deals are usually a bargain, like this one up until 7/19/09

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-MECH-_-EB1B-_-ACER&[email protected]
PROMO CODE: LCDP224 for $10 off
 
thanks for the help guys/gals i really appreciate it, i think ill save some money and buy a gigantor monitor down the line
 
The big deal with a monitor isn't so much all the numbers they advertise, it's what kind of panel it is. Here is a great post explaining the different type, and purchase considerations.

Pretty much every cheap panel out there is going to be a TN model. [H]ardforum (I'm an avid reader) is near overrun by monitor elitists that will tell you buying a TN panel is the worst decision you could ever make in your entire life. I use a Hanns G 19" with a TN Panel and I love the thing because it plays games well and is super cheap. Yes, blacks fade to a grey toward the edges. Yes, there is some backlight bleed if you look really hard. Yes, I would not start a career as a creative professional on it. Yes, my macbook pro kills it. But, for internet and tf2, it's a rockstar.

Don't think you can get a monitor that shows every color perfectly for cheap. Think of it like a printer. The more you spend, the higher quality the images will be. If you just want screen real estate to play games and surf the web, get a cheap TN. If you need your screen to display the best quality colors, spend more.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top