PC DVD movie resolutions ~

Ducttape

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
2,473
This is probably a basic question, but someone asked me and I wasn't sure, and couldn't fins the asnwer, so thought I'd ask here:

When you play a DVD on your PC, and your monitor is capable of displaying 1080p HD, what resolution is the movie being played at? I'm pretty sure if you have a Blu-Ray drive, it'll play at 1080p, but what if you have a normal DVD drive? Is it 480i, 480p, 720p...? The program for playing the DVD is Windows Media Center ~
 
720 x 480 is the standard resolution for DVD movies. That said, though, when you run it in fullscreen, the software DVD player will automatically upscale it to your monitors default resolution. Obviously, though, Blu-ray, or HD-DVD will look much better, as it doesn't need to be upscaled to fill your monitor.
 
A DVD drive isn't capable of playing blu-rays. blu-rays are only the container so it has noting to do with HD or not. you can easily put small HD clips on a DVD and put it in your computer. (Not a standalone dvd player tough). I hope that answered your question.
 
Thanks guys - that's exactly what I needed to know!

I think I get confused, because on regular set-top DVD players that you hook up to your tv, some can play only at 480i, and some can 'upconvert' to higher resolutions, and I wasn't sure which was right for PC DVD players.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top