I'm torn between these 2 video cards.

The 4870 and 4890 both use the same type of memory and have the same number of processing cores. The only real difference is the 4890 is clocked higher, and can reach even higher with overclocking, than the 4870 would be able to. The performance gained by the extra clock cycles probably will not justify the cost unless you plan to use crossfire with it (in which case the extra cost really isn't that much overall)
 
Does anyone that has or does own a 4870 answer this... How big is it? I hope it is able to fit in my NZXT Apollo.
 
Im running the Sapphire Radeon 4870 and have no issues. On CSS at all max plus AA @ x8 I get around 150 FPS unless im on noclip zombie which drops to around 40-80. As per heating issues, My card tops out at around 64 degrees celsius and idles around 50, but I also have a 120 mm 80 cubic ft/min fan that cools the hard drive rack that blows through on it, and even though it has its own fan I have a 110 mm fan that sits right above the card as the exaust fan.

Alot better than my previous NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT which idled at 60 degrees (I had it OC'd though) and topped out a nearly 80. Plus i had to run CSS on medium settings w/ no AA.

Just my two cents.
 
I just saw your question about size, but I have a Full ATX tower and the card has like no clearance between the Hard drive rack once it is slid in. It forced me to move all my harddrives down to the bottom area of the rack, but no biggee. If I remember right, its about 11" long and 4" wide. It is dual slot though cuz one slot is for a cooler.
 
DEFINATLEY go for the 4850. ive heard nothing but problems from gts 250s. its pretty much a renamed 8800gtx which is not as good as a 4850
 

Latest posts

Back
Top