What PSU is right for you?

Cigarjohn

EGO Zealot
=(eGO)=
Joined
Sep 28, 2008
Messages
1,610
I did some research and found this link that helps you determine the proper power supply to purchase for your computer.

Excellant for all you builders out there.

Unfortunately, my new rig setup will force me to purchase 2-1000 watt PSU's.


http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp


I hope this process helps you out.


Peace!
 
I did some research and found this link that helps you determine the proper power supply to purchase for your computer.

Excellant for all you builders out there.

Unfortunately, my new rig setup will force me to purchase 2-1000 watt PSU's.


http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp


I hope this process helps you out.


Peace!


Whats your build, because at most you should only need 1200 - 1400 watts, I dont think theres anything out there that requires 2000W
 
That calculator might be off, there is no system I can think of that would require a 2,000 PSU. That is why they don't make them.
 
So I put all my info in right; including a Phenom II x3, Radeon HD 4890, two sticks of DDR3, fans, USB devices, etc and yet it only told me I need 316 watts...
 
If you really do need 2000w make sure you have a NEMA 5-20 circuit to plug into. The older NEMA 5-15 circuits are rated for 15 amperes at 125 volts which would be exceeded by your power requirements.
 
My built system.

Whats your build, because at most you should only need 1200 - 1400 watts, I dont think theres anything out there that requires 2000W


I am going to purcase a Work Station Super Computer Motherboard cause it has 7 16X expansions slots.

Intel I7 975
16 gigs of DDR3 Ram (might push it to 24 gigs)
7 Hard drives - 300 gig Raptors
Dual GTX 295's or better if something comes out by Christmas
Creative Fatality Card
Seperate Networking Card
4 120 mm fans
1 CD Burner
1 DVD Burner
1 Blue Ray Burner
1 3.5" Floppy - Don't ask why
1 Compact Flash Card Drive
G19 Logitech Keyboard
Not sure what wired mouse I will be getting


I will be liquid cooling the voltage regularors on the motherboard, CPU, North & Sough Bridge & two video cards. Maybe my hard drives (Maybe). But the liquid cooler will not be running from the interior PSU's. I would like to liquid cool the ram, but may be a little risky taking the ram apart without destroying it. I'll probably get two fans that are parked over them.

Yeah I'm crazy and I have money to burn. Probably looking at $8,800.00+ with all top end equipment.

It will be a work station that I will be using it for gaming also. I'm into video editing and post production work on the side.

Peace!
 
If you really do need 2000w make sure you have a NEMA 5-20 circuit to plug into. The older NEMA 5-15 circuits are rated for 15 amperes at 125 volts which would be exceeded by your power requirements.



That's why I'm purchasing two seperate 1000 watt PSU's so I don't need an electrician to come in my house and install a special outlet.

I will be upgrading my UPS to a 2700 watt battery backup.

Peace!
 
I am going to purcase a Work Station Super Computer Motherboard cause it has 7 16X expansions slots.

Intel I7 975
16 gigs of DDR3 Ram (might push it to 24 gigs)
7 Hard drives - 300 gig Raptors
Dual GTX 295's or better if something comes out by Christmas
Creative Fatality Card
Seperate Networking Card
4 120 mm fans
1 CD Burner
1 DVD Burner
1 Blue Ray Burner
1 3.5" Floppy - Don't ask why
1 Compact Flash Card Drive
G19 Logitech Keyboard
Not sure what wired mouse I will be getting


I will be liquid cooling the voltage regularors on the motherboard, CPU, North & Sough Bridge & two video cards. Maybe my hard drives (Maybe). But the liquid cooler will not be running from the interior PSU's. I would like to liquid cool the ram, but may be a little risky taking the ram apart without destroying it. I'll probably get two fans that are parked over them.

Yeah I'm crazy and I have money to burn. Probably looking at $8,800.00+ with all top end equipment.

It will be a work station that I will be using it for gaming also. I'm into video editing and post production work on the side.

Peace!

That thing is going to be a beast!
 
I get 560, but have 520 Corsair and it runs like a maniac. Actually, i could run a good system on a 450 watts supply, just have to cheapen out on the video card.

I doubt you will need 2000 watts. And i am not sure how you can use two PSUs on one mobo. The 1000 watts Corsair puts out 12 volts at 40 Amperes. And as you can see the PSU itself does not put out 1000 watts on one line, but 500 watts on separate lines. 40 Amperes is a lot of current, the PSU itself takes in 13 Amperes at 120 V, and steps it down to 12 Volts. Two 1000 watt PSU would power a car i think.

http://www.corsair.com/products/hx1000/default.aspx
 
Why dont you just buy an i7 920 an OC it, its the same chip as the 975 and same OC'ing potential of hitting 4.0ghz and youd save 800$ that you could use for another graphics card or a few SSD.
 
Why dont you just buy an i7 920 an OC it, its the same chip as the 975 and same OC'ing potential of hitting 4.0ghz and youd save 800$ that you could use for another graphics card or a few SSD.

The 975 is completely unlocked, as apposed to the 920 which only has a few things unlocked.

I don't think 2000watts is entirely necessary... I've got a friend that has dual 295's, an i7 920 running @ 4.2 (watercooled), 6 gb of ram, and a lot of other goodies that could run on 700 or so watts.
 
Make sure you get these fans. They are amazing, and the silicone feet make them even more quiet.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FZ33AE/ref=ox_ya_oh_product"]Amazon.com: Zalman ZM-F3 120mm Quiet Case Fan with Silicone Pins: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41kD%2BHpeV2L.@@AMEPARAM@@41kD%2BHpeV2L[/ame]
 
The 975 is completely unlocked, as apposed to the 920 which only has a few things unlocked.


Still only can OC to 4.1ghz so not too much has improved, unless you want your CPU to last an hour @ 5.25ghz (was supposedly OC'ed to that).

Temps still the same, same Nehalem architecture, same X58 chipset motherboards...
 
I am going to purcase a Work Station Super Computer Motherboard cause it has 7 16X expansions slots.

Intel I7 975
16 gigs of DDR3 Ram (might push it to 24 gigs)
7 Hard drives - 300 gig Raptors
Dual GTX 295's or better if something comes out by Christmas
Creative Fatality Card
Seperate Networking Card
4 120 mm fans
1 CD Burner
1 DVD Burner
1 Blue Ray Burner
1 3.5" Floppy - Don't ask why
1 Compact Flash Card Drive
G19 Logitech Keyboard
Not sure what wired mouse I will be getting


I will be liquid cooling the voltage regularors on the motherboard, CPU, North & Sough Bridge & two video cards. Maybe my hard drives (Maybe). But the liquid cooler will not be running from the interior PSU's. I would like to liquid cool the ram, but may be a little risky taking the ram apart without destroying it. I'll probably get two fans that are parked over them.

Yeah I'm crazy and I have money to burn. Probably looking at $8,800.00+ with all top end equipment.

It will be a work station that I will be using it for gaming also. I'm into video editing and post production work on the side.

Peace!

You know 3 x GTX 285 is better than 2 x GTX 295's.
 
Best comment about this 2000 watts PSU:

That thing puts out 148 amps on the 12v line. That'll crank many small cars...

The fact that it takes two power cords is not a good thing though. Maybe they do it to get the boost and not have to resort to complex circuitry, larger or more expensive transformers and large, and quite expensive capacitors to get the 2000 watts from a single cable.

Corsair offers 100,000 hours MTBF, about 11 years, and five year warranty, half of MTBF. I wonder how this compares to that? Zalman, which is the other thing than Corsair i trust and would prefer over Corsair if they used as good capacitors as Corsair does, offers three years, though i cannot find a MTBF. From my tour of their US operations i think the guy said about 50,000 hours on a fan, so maybe it is about the same.

And seeing it open it looks like they boxed two PSUs together. I would not call this an authentic 2000watts PSU. It is possible to get the more energy from the house plug, not sure why they did not design it with one plug.

And last thing, future proofing makes no sense. Computers will not be using 2,000 watts. This whole push for more video cards and larger PSUs will not last for long. PSUs are still very much transformers, capacitors, resistors and a fuse. Once they are digitized and made smart they will not need so much brute force. And new solid state research, new ram, new hard drives, new CPUS and GPUs, and capacitors will make the need for more power go away by reducing the need for power greatly. In the future, 3 to 5 years, the 500 watt PSU will be king, and that may even serve as the PSU for the monitor.

 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top