Water cooling

The V10 technically isn't 100% air cooling, it's a thermo electric cooler...


one side stays cold while the other gets hot and needs to be cooled.. they have bigger versions that need water cooling to cool, and some that even need to be insulated because it gets pretty darn cold and causes condensation.


Only issue is.. if the TEC unit goes out... it pretty much acts the opposite.. it will start cooking your processor...

if a fain fails, most MB's are setup to let you know.. if the TEC goes out.. or a water pump... I don't think you'll get any kind of warning.. till it shuts off due to heat.
 
pffffft. I understand that watercooling is efficient but I just don't think the differences compared to a good air cooler is worth the hassle and money. I have a Coolermaster HAF case with a Coolermaster V8 on an i7 920. Depending on ambient temperature, I idle between 26-30 degrees. And I've never seen over 43 degrees while gaming. Ran prime 95 for 4 hours str8 and the V8 held it at 53-56. And i'm sure if it didn't get as stuffy as it does at times where my PC is, my temps would be lower. In addition to that, I get these temps with the fan running at it's lowest speed and it is dead silent. I paid $60 for my V8. That's a great deal less than any WC setup and it was much easier to install.
 
The V10 technically isn't 100% air cooling, it's a thermo electric cooler...


one side stays cold while the other gets hot and needs to be cooled.. they have bigger versions that need water cooling to cool, and some that even need to be insulated because it gets pretty darn cold and causes condensation.


Only issue is.. if the TEC unit goes out... it pretty much acts the opposite.. it will start cooking your processor...

if a fain fails, most MB's are setup to let you know.. if the TEC goes out.. or a water pump... I don't think you'll get any kind of warning.. till it shuts off due to heat.

This is a very good point.

In my opinion, WC worked a little bit better but it wasn't worth the money. Also it took up a large amount of space so it required a big case. The paradox is, if you already have a big case that can house water cooling, how do you have heating problems with properly used fans and heatsinks?
 
pffffft. I understand that watercooling is efficient but I just don't think the differences compared to a good air cooler is worth the hassle and money. I have a Coolermaster HAF case with a Coolermaster V8 on an i7 920. Depending on ambient temperature, I idle between 26-30 degrees. And I've never seen over 43 degrees while gaming. Ran prime 95 for 4 hours str8 and the V8 held it at 53-56. And i'm sure if it didn't get as stuffy as it does at times where my PC is, my temps would be lower. In addition to that, I get these temps with the fan running at it's lowest speed and it is dead silent. I paid $60 for my V8. That's a great deal less than any WC setup and it was much easier to install.

If your a performance enthusiast then Water Cooling is THE way to go. Its alot quieter than Fan cooling, which is good (I dont mind the noise actually.. I practically live in a server room.)

But it has benefits if done correctly and if you did your homework.

Also, on "Instruction manual doesn't say what temps"

It has been proven, that CPU's Actually can STOP working if you get the temperature low enough to stop the flow of electrons. I will say that all of you here do not have access to technology to do this. Unless you work in a laboratory that can cryogenically freeze things to -273.15 ?C (-459.67 ?F)

However, CPU's tend to work best when cooled as much as possible, when a CPU gets hotter, it becomes inefficient, so the hotter a computer runs, the more electricity it uses due to it becoming more and more dense to flow electrons. So cooling a CPU to 5 degrees may be extreme, and personally I wouldn't do it, but running a 30-40 degree Celsius PC is Ideal in my experience.

Water cooling is in the eye of the beholder. I will say my next rig will be "Chilled" water cooled. Where essentially a heat exchanger will chill the water before it goes to the cpu GPU whatever..
 
If your a performance enthusiast then Water Cooling is THE way to go. Its alot quieter than Fan cooling, which is good (I dont mind the noise actually.. I practically live in a server room.)

But it has benefits if done correctly and if you did your homework.

Also, on "Instruction manual doesn't say what temps"

It has been proven, that CPU's Actually can STOP working if you get the temperature low enough to stop the flow of electrons. I will say that all of you here do not have access to technology to do this. Unless you work in a laboratory that can cryogenically freeze things to -273.15 ?C (-459.67 ?F)

However, CPU's tend to work best when cooled as much as possible, when a CPU gets hotter, it becomes inefficient, so the hotter a computer runs, the more electricity it uses due to it becoming more and more dense to flow electrons. So cooling a CPU to 5 degrees may be extreme, and personally I wouldn't do it, but running a 30-40 degree Celsius PC is Ideal in my experience.

Water cooling is in the eye of the beholder. I will say my next rig will be "Chilled" water cooled. Where essentially a heat exchanger will chill the water before it goes to the cpu GPU whatever..

Well, wut exactly is your definition of "performance enthusiast"? For you what does that entail exactly? Because like I to conider myself a "performance entusiast" (otherwise I wouldn't have spend so much money on my i7 rig). And like I said before, there are several really effective, quiet air coolers that can achieve pretty damn close to the same temps as a WC setup at a huge fraction of the cost. All things considered, primarily price:performance ratio, i don't think WC is THE way to go anymore. I think it's just a matter of person preference.

I also listed my temps above. 26-30 degrees depending ambient temp, never exceeds 42-43 degrees while gaming, and after 4 hours of prime 95 my Coolermaster V8 held my i7 920 @ 53-56 degrees. All while running practically dead silent. And I paid $60 for the V8. WC maybe better, but when you figure in how well some of these new AC perform, and the price difference between the two...i think now, it just comes down to how much of a nerd are you? :)
 
Last edited:
Well, wut exactly is your definition of "performance enthusiast"? For you what does that entail exactly? Because like I to conider myself a "performance entusiast" (otherwise I wouldn't have spend so much money on my i7 rig). And like I said before, there are several really effective, quiet air coolers that can achieve pretty damn close to the same temps as a WC setup at a huge fraction of the cost. All things considered, primarily price:performance ratio, i don't think WC is THE way to go anymore. I think it's just a matter of person preference.

I also listed my temps above. 26-30 degrees depending ambient temp, never exceeds 42-43 degrees while gaming, and after 4 hours of prime 95 my Coolermaster V8 held my i7 920 @ 53-56 degrees. All while running practically dead silent. And I paid $60 for the V8. WC maybe better, but when you figure in how well some of these new AC perform, and the price difference between the two...i think now, it just comes down to how much of a nerd are you? :)

Lol that's true, i had no idea fan coolers were so efficient. I haven't done much in the lines of upgrading mine. In my experience Water Cooling shows its benefits when you OC, however I could be wrong.
 
It has been proven, that CPU's Actually can STOP working if you get the temperature low enough to stop the flow of electrons. I will say that all of you here do not have access to technology to do this. Unless you work in a laboratory that can cryogenically freeze things to -273.15 ?C (-459.67 ?F)


I am very curious as to where you got this information from. Generally as you lower the temperature of a conductor, the ease of the flow of electrons, will become easier. Hence the theory behind superconductors....
 
If your a performance enthusiast then Water Cooling is THE way to go. Its alot quieter than Fan cooling, which is good (I dont mind the noise actually.. I practically live in a server room.)

Water cooling is in the eye of the beholder. I will say my next rig will be "Chilled" water cooled. Where essentially a heat exchanger will chill the water before it goes to the cpu GPU whatever..

Liquid cooling still requires fans, almost the same amount of fans as you would normally use in a PC case (~4). I used to have water cooling, made a kit by myself, used a fish pond pump (more powerful, quieter, more reliable) and my radiator(heat exchanger) was a heater core from autozone, (heater cores work better than anything else). I put 4 120mm's on the heater core, cooled the CPU and GPU (Intel 955 EE, 6800GS).

If you're looking for noise reduction than liquid cooling probably won't do the trick....the only way i can see it helping with noise is if you have a low power system where you can cool everything using 1 fan and 1 radiator. If you have something powerful you'll need more radiators, more fans and you'll have more noise.


at the OP, if you're doing it because it sounds cool, dont waste your money. If you want to overclock (which is why i bought liquid cooling) then liquid cooling is somewhat of a good choice. even then, I'd spend the money I was going to put towards liquid cooling (~150 for a decent kit) and buy a faster CPU/GPU so I don't have to overclock. In my case, I wanted to join the 5.0GHz club, and I did, after that the excitement faded, and I went back to fans, its easier.
 
I am very curious as to where you got this information from. Generally as you lower the temperature of a conductor, the ease of the flow of electrons, will become easier. Hence the theory behind superconductors....

The thing is Processors are semi-conductors. Super conductors NEED to be super chilled, semi-conductors work in a different manner. Its some crazy physics. I gotta find the link to it..
 

Latest posts

Back
Top