Raedon 4600 HD

Orangejuice35

Rookie
Joined
Oct 24, 2008
Messages
50
I know many of you say raedon is not as good as nividia well i took a jump i had nividia i hated it so i whent to best buy and bought the best graphics card there for like 234 us dollars and now its a great card im not kidding XD but does anyone think i did the wrong thing with doing that.. i remeber with my nividia card it was a pretty up to date one it destroyed most of my graphics on games for example any source game besides css would have color patches and be black green yellow purple and what not and i had all of the source games and when i got my new one it was like that was all gone and i am happy but like will it over run my coputer i have a microsoft windows XP center edition 2005 and i hear that if i have to strong of a graphics card on a computer with a smaller power system it could blow my mother board.

please respond
 
You could have bought a way better card for 250$........

No, you could blow your power supply up... And might fry the motherboard
 
There is no such card as the 4600 HD, do you mean the HD 4650/4670? If so, you payed an exorbitant price. Your problems with the nvidia card were no doubt due to an insufficient power supply, a new graphics card will not fix that problem. It would help if you could give the specs of your power supply and previous graphics card. In regards to the mobo destruction question, I have never heard of lack of power causing a blown motherboard.
 
Last edited:
Wow, I actually ran out of breath reading that. For future reference, punctuation is your friend.

Now, about the whole ATI vs. nvidia war... don't listen to anybody who tells you one is better than the other. I personally am an ATI fan, but really there are no differences between them. They each have their own perks, but at the end of the day they're on the same level of performance.

Yes, you need to be sure you have a good enough power supply to handle the graphics card. If it works now, it might not tomorrow, and when power supplies go bad they tend to take other hardware with them.

Also don't forget that you can't just plug the video card in and it'll magically work. Be sure you have the proper driver installed, update your motherboard's chipset, etc. If you don't have the right drivers it won't work as well as it should. If you have any questions about this, I'm usually available through Steam Friends.

-Xen
 
RETURN IMMEDIATELY I MEAN IMMEDIATELY

You just got scammed brother, 234 dollars for a 4600 series card??? dude 234 dollars can buy you a 4850x2 or a 4890 card which are the top tier cards for radeon. Always shop on newegg bro, best site there is pretty much.

Also radeon is not worse than Nvidia. They have actually won the graphics card war for this generation, the GTX 200 series were a big flop in the beginning but now prices are dropping but still they cant compare to the 4870x2 and price. If you like crysis go with the Nvidia because its a favored game and the Nvidia single GPU solutions are much better. GTX 285 is beastly but its expensive, would opt for hte 4870x2 instead since more than 50% of the games will be faster on the dual solution GPU.

Return that 4600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102838
40 BUCKS DUDE!!!!! AND YOU PAID 234!!!!
return it, and get something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150349
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127427
 
Yes you may blow up your system if you dont have an adequate PSU. I recommend buying a new one that will be able to support the power supply requirements for that specific GPU.
 
Yes you may blow up your system if you dont have an adequate PSU.

I beg to differ, a power supply insufficiency would result in POST problems or performance problems (such as the aforementioned gfx texture issues), it would not "blow up" a motherboard/system. However, if the power supply is low quality, then it could damage your components.
 
sorry lol idk i was just being sarcastic i guess i went a bit overboard :biggrin:
My PSU actually just shorted recently but thats because it was cheap. Got myself a Tuniq 1000w ripper about a month ago or a couple of weeks ago. Rocks and i got a Cooler Master HAF 932.
 
Yeah, it seems like you need some relatively large changes to your rig for performance gaming.

1. When shopping on Newegg or Tigerdirect you could get fairly priced system upgrades that will help performance.

2.It seems like you do not have sufficient knowledge to be doing this by yourself. You should call somebody up and create a plan for your upgrades so you don't get ripped off. It really seems like you have received a lot of bad advice.

There are so many things to consider when getting new hardware such as power constraints and bottlenecking.

Feel free to send me a PM.
 
It would help if you could give the specs of your power supply and previous graphics card.

Is the OP still out there? I'd like to help you to fix this problem and avoid getting screwed by Best Buy (even though I work there).
 
Wow, that is a big price for a Radeon HD 4600. A Radeon HD 4850+ would have better fitted the price. And yes, too small of a power supply could easily blow your motherboard as well as some other things too.
 
And yes, too small of a power supply could easily blow your motherboard as well as some other things too.

I don't usually like to press a point this much, but I have to take umbrage with that statement.

As I stated earlier, an insufficient power supply would cause POST (Power On Startup) issues as well as the previously mentioned graphics card texture problems (pink & green looking graphics with polygons). Now, an EXTREMELY insufficient power supply would cause the POST issues and might cause motherboard damage/failure (as well as other components, CPU namely), but by no means would it "easily blow your motherboard." A poor-quality PSU is far more likely to cause component damage, no matter what the wattage is.

In the case of the OP, the first statement is true, during gaming the graphics card creates an excess load on the PSU, which causes the graphics card to lack the power to render properly, whether that is attributed to the voltage rail(s) or the overall wattage is yet to be known. This type of problem would pose a very slim chance of component failure, except for the PSU itself.

I don't want to sound annoying or tear anybody's head off, but I think these statements surmount to fear-mongering and I don't want people to be too scared about their power supplies. Nevertheless, a PSU upgrade is highly recommended for the OP, especially if he wants to upgrade any components in the future.
 
Last edited:
Yes you may blow up your system if you dont have an adequate PSU. I recommend buying a new one that will be able to support the power supply requirements for that specific GPU.

I agree... return it it could seriously ruin your system or better yet ruin as PewPewBangBang said...
 
@genpatton7

I'm sorry, I didn't know that. I was just using my personal experience for that short statement. My motherboard & some other things blew so that's what I was trying to say but I guess I didn't state it too well.

!up genpatton7 for correcting my statement
 

Latest posts

Back
Top